Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Let\'s Play Something Else...

The following is a report of my game this past weekend where I tried to get my group to play something other than NL Hold'em.

Does anyone have any stories of their own? How did they work out? Mine didn't really work out this time because I dind't bust from the first tourney.

Onto the story...

So this past weekend I hosted another NL Texas Hold'em tournament for my buddies. I've been thinking of a way to get some other games into the mix because the only game we've been playing for the past two years coming on three is NL Texas Hold'em.

So normally we play two $10 tournaments per night. Before the first tournament started, I threw out the idea of just moving into a cash game as players bust from the tournament and to keep it going until the night ends. I was throwing out the idea of a dealer's choice structure, but I hadn't put together a list of games as of yet.

The first few guys were pretty receptive to that idea and I thought it was going to fly. As guys busted out of the tourney they did in fact move to the cash table and it looks like a good time was being had there. I wouldn't know from experience though, 'cause I ended up taking down the tournament.

When it was over I was about to get into the cash action, but that game shut down cause a bunch of those guys had to go.

I asked how the cash game was and everyone seemed to have enjoyed it. I asked what games they played and they told me that it was only hold'em because I wasn't there to teach them any other games.

The cash game had started small (.05/.10 blinds) and then doubled after awhile of that. That's the structure I would have expected with that group and it's a good structure to replace a $10 buy-in tourney.

So, I'm excited that the idea was well-received even though it wasn't fully implemented Friday night. I think the seed has been planted though and the next time I bust early I'll be able to get some games into the mix. I'll have a list of games ready, and I think I'll print a 1-page for the rules of each game in the mix. I'm going to try to avoid most wild-card games, but some guys like to get those in for fun (before NL Hold'em we used to play games like "roll-your-own" and "pregnant 3's"), so I think I'll add a few action games like "follow the queen", "Chicago", and "Crazy Pineapple" in the mix, just to spice things up a little.

Since it's summer, I don't know when our next game will be so we'll have to see how things pan out
Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Let\'s Play Something Else...

Our monthly game has a dealer choice cash game(s) that early into the morning. Personally, I prefer NLHE, and that's usually my game of choice. I'll opt for 7-card stud or Omaha every once in a while. I'm not thrilled with the games such as Follow the Queen, etc., but I play them. Everone else seems to love them, so I'm sure your guys will get into them, too.

Most of our crazy games are 1/2 limit, and the no limit are .5/1. It get a little expensive, but you can make a few bucks, too.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Let\'s Play Something Else...

I think double flop adds some action without bastardizing the game too much. No wild cards.

I also like hi/lo games for action. I don't like wild card games as much. Our tourneys are pretty intense so the side games are a welcomed changeup.