Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 06:50 PM

Default hands like this tilt me every time

BB is 28/19/2.6 over 900 hands. He seems to think I fold too much, or maybe I'm just running bad again and hypersensitive to being run over.
Button is 51/2/0.4 over 45 hands

Preflop: I cap this maybe 70% of the time, but his 3-bet coming from BB swayed me to just call this time. How often do you cap here?

Postflop: Pretty standard? Go one more bet somewhere?

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.00 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.00 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.00 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.00 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ks Qs (a flush, king high.)
Hero has Ac Kd (a pair of aces.)
BB wins 16.80 BB.
</font>

So, my biggest concern is how to adjust play toward this player after the hand. After a hand like this I usually get pretty irritated and have a tendency to raise and call light against him. You think that's a reasonable adjustment, or am I just falling into his trap?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 PM

Default Re: hands like this tilt me every time

I'm not sure what your question is.
PF doesn't matter. I usually don't cap AKo OOP but I would with button padding the pot and this guy probably 3betting light.
Postflop is fine. I'd probably C/R the flop but bet/3bet is cool too.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:15 PM

Sorry, I meant to show the results (edited to do so).

My question is more general about how to adjust after the hand. Do you get a little looser and a little more agro with this guy? Tighten up, get to showdowns, and try to avoid giving him semibluffing opportunities? Don't sweat it, and play your usual game?

For some reason, these types of hands really get under my skin. When a generally reasonable opponent overplays their hand and then gets lucky, I feel like smashing my monitor over their head. I suck.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:01 PM

I think he played this hand very well.

I also believed that you played this correctly given your read. There is not much he would raise on the turn however that you beat. I think this is very read dependant as you say he thinks you can fold incorrectly often.

True
Old 02-21-2006, 08:03 PM

i think villain should just call the flop donk, but wow2you if this tilts you. he does have the 2nd nut flush draw + broadway gutshot.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I meant to show the results (edited to do so).

My question is more general about how to adjust after the hand. Do you get a little looser and a little more agro with this guy? Tighten up, get to showdowns, and try to avoid giving him semibluffing opportunities? Don't sweat it, and play your usual game?

For some reason, these types of hands really get under my skin. When a generally reasonable opponent overplays their hand and then gets lucky, I feel like smashing my monitor over their head. I suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest he didn't overplay very much. He raised to isolate what he perceived as a weak opponent that he could run over postflop.

His raise on the flop had fold equity and a chance to get a free card with the hope of the fish calling 2 rather than 1 to subsidise his flush / gutshot draw. I would have liked a cap from him on the flop if the fish called 2 thus increaseing pot size and tying hands the the pot.

His implied odds are slammed but it makes his hand a lot less see through.

True
Old 02-21-2006, 08:12 PM

I don't think BB's play is so bad.

If he thinks your flop lead has to mean an ace, then I don't like his raise all that much. But if he thinks you're taking a stab with, say, 77 to try to push him off of 99, then his play gains merit.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:12 PM

this hand seems familiar, who is the bb?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 PM

Could you elaborate on how and why this tilts you? I would have played QKs exactly the same as the villain did here, except I'd cap the flop since it's 3 ways.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:36 PM

You're all right, the tone of my post was silly. He played it fine. Maybe I'm just bothered that I misread his play. I really wanted to fold to the turn raise, but players had been raising me out of hands right and left. It seemed like I had missed every flop in the session and had been folding often. That said, I do think his preflop 3-bet is a bit light, given that I'm not exactly raising cheese from the SB and there is no way this button is ever folding anything in this spot preflop.

So, you guys have any input on how to adapt at a table where you've been flop-dead and feel players are taking shots at you? Get up and leave? Tighten up preflop and try to make it to some showdowns? Forget about it, and play your normal game?