Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 11:47 AM

Default 10/20 Stud 8 Live

$1 ante, $3BI

Sorry the info is pretty incomplete. The opener who reads well and is a strong, solid player. He's definitely got a real hand. The middle caller is super loose and borderline idiot. Ok nevermind, total idiot. I put him on random pair or razz hand (and a bad one at that). The last caller is loose on 3rd but plays decently on later streets. But he wouldn't call a raise from an ace without 3 low cards gutshot cards.

7 handed.
(xx)3 brings in.
fold
(xx)Ad completes
(xx)8x calls
fold, ace up
(xx)5x calls
(AA)9x calls
fold

I think the play on later streets and my dead aces outweigh the value I would get from reraising. Thoughts?

(xx)Ad2d-check/call
(xx)3x2x-bet
(xx)5x7x-call
(AA)9xKx-call

Surprisingly, the raiser checked. I don't see how the 2d did not help his hand. I later realized that he must have had a middle/big pair in the hole. I did think about raising, but with dangerous boards developing, I'm hoping for bricks on 5th so I can thin the field. Oops.

(xx)Ad.2d.Blank
(xx)3x.2x.3x-check
(xx)5x.7x.4x-bet
(AA)9x.Kx.Blank-??
Old 06-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Stud 8 Live

I think another solid possibility for the good player is that he raised with a three-card low. The Deuce paired him, and another Deuce died behind him. Meanwhile, two low hands have caught good, and you're obviously on a high hand which beats Deuces. I'm guessing his enthusiasm for this hand diminished significantly on fourth.

As should yours. If fourth isn't a fold for you, it's pretty damned close. I have an older edition of Zee, but at the beginning of the chapter on fourth-street play, he says that if you have a high hand and are against a couple of low hands, and on fourth street they both catch cards close in rank to their door cards, that is the time to get away from your high hand. Also tilting this towards a fold is the fact that an Ace is gone.

Since you called fourth, fifth is definitely a fold.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure. I had considered folding fourth but somehow my hands just reached for chips. Hopefully I'll be able to do this in a couple more sessions.

Actually, both aces were already gone. One of the aces folded on third. Do we agree reraising 3rd is a pretty awful idea?

And as for the good player, sorry for the spotty info. He caught a non-wheel low card on sixth and folded, so I'm assuming he had a pair in the hole rather than a deuce.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:49 PM

I would definitely fold on 4th. You have a dead, high-only hand against several boards that appear to have two-way potential.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 PM

Reraising third would be awful unless there were no callers. Completely dead aces are a hand you limp with at best, unless there are no callers.

Fourth is an easy fold (mathematically, not psychologically). When the raiser catches a suited low card behind you with a bettor and caller in front, you scream and run away. Aces are good, but they can seem too sticky at times.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:01 AM

live cards only.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:44 AM

That's one spot where I'd seriously consider folding my dead hand on 3rd. With a small card kicker I'd play it, but I don't like that hand in a 3 way pot and would more than likely dump it on 3rd.