Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Flop big a big draw, turn scare card... hmmm

I don't know if I played this OK. Is it clear fold? Would he put me all-in if he'd made the boat, so could he just be potting a scare-card? Could he just have a random 9? I don't know much about him except he has a big stack.

Seat 3: jussari ($363.35 in chips)
Seat 4: williebox ($168.95 in chips)
Seat 8: PushThButton ($83.60 in chips)
Seat 9: kubulon ($31 in chips)
Seat 10: Hero (K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) ($139.30 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
jussari posts blind ($1), williebox posts blind ($1).

PRE-FLOP
PushThButton folds, kubulon calls $1, Hero bets $5, jussari calls $4, williebox calls $4, kubulon calls $4.

FLOP [board cards 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
jussari checks, williebox bets $10, kubulon folds, Hero bets $50, jussari calls $50, williebox folds.

TURN [board cards 6C,QS,9C,9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
jussari bets $130, Hero folds.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Flop big a big draw, turn scare card... hmmm

So far all you have is an overpair, a gutshot, a non-nut flush draw vs a guy who might have called on the flop with top two or maybe a wrap with a 9 in it. A set is highly doubtful since he didn't reraise on a super draw heavy board. He called on the flop with 4 people in the pot, so unless he's really tricky, you're drawing slim or quasi dead, I think you played the hand just fine.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 PM

At first thought I thought this was a clear fold as villain has a 9 more often than not, but this bet is for you all-in and you've shown interest in the flop, so I wouldn't expect villain to turn over Q9 very often. He might do this with hands like 9TJx with clubs though. In any case, I like a call.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:35 PM

It's $84.30 for me to call and there's 214.30 in the pot including his bet, so I need 28% equity.

If he has say JT98 without or without clubs, I'm only on 20% equity.

On the other hand if he has say KQJT with the clubs and is semibluffing, I'm 75% to win.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 PM

Thinking about this a little more, I consider this a must-call; villain could reasonably check and overcall with top two on the flop but why then when he expects you to be drawing to 2 outs would he go all-in on the turn? It seems much more likely to me that villain is playing a big non-nut draw or a Q6 that just got counterfeited, and wants you to fold exactly the type of hand that you have. I would call and expect him to show hands like QJTx with clubs quite a lot.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 PM

So one person say it's an easy fold, another says it's a must-call. What do other people do?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 PM

i think it's close. a read on your opponent would certainly help, no big deal. whatever he has, he played it weird. i'd call
Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 AM

I'd call this unless opponnent's super straightforward TAP. If he's got the boat, I can't imagine why he wouldn't give you a chance to bluff or to hit a draw on the river. The stacks are shallow enough that he can't really think he's getting more value by betting.

Off-hand, I'd guess that this is turned trips on a KJT9 type hand about 50% of the time, is a bluff from a draw maybe 35% of the time, and is an actual boat that has you drawing to 2 outs only about 15%. Against that range, you have more than the right odds to call 2/3 of the pot.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:33 AM

this is very similar in the way its played out to the hand i have posted. without the benefit of any reads, i think i would fold but if over the 10 or so hands you have seen him play you suspect he is using his big stack to bully then its a must call - it certainly feels like he dosent want a call by his turn bet