Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 03:18 AM

Default FILM REVIEW: Cinderella Man

I know a lot of people hate film reviews on here, but I thin there are an equal number of posters who like them and use them as a good resource. Anyway, I'm going to try my hand at this and see if Diebitter and Pryor might feel the same way I do about this movie.

First, let me just say WOW. I was traveling in Europe during this films short theater run, and unfortunately haven't found the time to watch it until tonight. I'm sorry that I didn't get to see it on the big screen because I feel that I missed out on one hell of an experience.

This film centers around boxer James Braddock (amazingly portayed by Russell Crowe). Braddock is an up and coming boxer in the 1920's with 60 some odd fights under his belt and no losses by way of knockout. He is making money hand over fist for every time he dances around the ring at the Garden. He has 3 young children and a beautiful wife (who is well played by Renee Zellweger), and they are living the American dream.

Flash forward to 1933. America is in the heart of the Great Depression and the Braddock family has fallen on hard times indeed. Since 1929 they have lost or sold everything they once held dear, yet remain very close and well grounded. Jimmy Braddock has had over 60 more fights over the years, but appears to have lost his edge. He even fights with serious injuries to make ends meet, but his lack of fire and a slew of humdrum competition fail to put butts in the seats. Eventually his license is revoked and he has to take odd jobs at a dock whenever they are available. A seemingly impossible stroke of luck lands him in the ring for a handsome sum of money and a chance for the title. The problem is, if he loses one fight on his way to the top, he will be decommissioned for good.

Russell Crowe gives an incredible performance as the down on his luck boxer. He slimmed down to a trim 175lbs. and learned the ropes (pun intended) as a boxer. All his hard work certainly shows as I feel this is on par with his turn as John Nash in A Beautiful Mind.

Renee Zellweger did a wonderful job as James' supportive yet worrysome wife. I had my doubts of her ability to make me feel any emotion, but she pulled me through in fine form.

Everyone raved about Paul Giamatti's performance in this title. I however thought it was a pretty standard supporting actor role. Though he does a great job as Jimmy's trainer, his role is rather downplayed and unable to come out in front of the subject matter. Nowhere near his amazingly good performances in American Splendor and Sideways.

The film as a whole does for boxing, and the boxer what The Natural did for baseball, or Legend of Bagger Vance did for golf. It creates a surreal feeling and provokes edge of seat emotions. Surely I'm a sucker for sports movies, but never have I felt so nervous for their protagonists. I was in the ring with James Braddock through every punch. I felt his desire, his need to win for the good of his family.

Ron Howard deserves all the accolades given to films greatest directors. I don't mean just for this film, but for every work he has ever created. However, his work in Cinderella Man no doubt causes the emotional rollercoaster the audience experiences more than just the work of very able actors.

For all it's splendor, the film does have a few flaws. One is it carries very slowly. At 2 hours 25 minutes, this movie feels like 3 hours. I'm not saying that any time was wasted on pointless scenes, I'm simply saying that it could have been trimmed down a bit. Other flaws were few and far between, although many make a case for the fact that the story was somewhat embellished. I don't see this as a problem, as most films based on a true story are often subject to artistic license.

I would recommend this film to the snobbiest of movie goers and feel confident that they would come out with their jaws on the floor. Sure, it flopped at the box office, but I feel that had more to do with it's release time than it's production. It would have done much better as a Christmas time release instead of kicking off summer blockbuster season.

My rating: 5 (out of 5)
See this movie. It truly is a masterpiece and it is a travesty that this was not nominated for best picture. Quality wise it is right on par with any of the films nominated.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:19 AM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: Cinderella Man

Haha, this review reads like a commercial for the movie.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The film as a whole does for boxing, and the boxer what The Natural did for baseball, or Legend of Bagger Vance did for golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Legend of Bagger Vance? Are you serious?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:23 AM

I will definitely watch it sometime this week based on this review, and add my thoughts. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The film as a whole does for boxing, and the boxer what The Natural did for baseball, or Legend of Bagger Vance did for golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although not a box office smash, I felt Bagger Vance was an extremely well put together movie. You may not like it, but I'm certainly not going to berate you for it. To each his own man.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although not a box office smash, I felt Bagger Vance was an extremely well put together movie. You may not like it, but I'm certainly not going to berate you for it. To each his own man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but you should have put 'Tin Cup' in there. Now THAT was a golf movie.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm simply saying that it could have been trimmed down a bit. Other flaws were few and far between, although many make a case for the fact that the story was somewhat embellished.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is true...

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend this film to the snobbiest of movie goers and feel confident that they would come out with their jaws on the floor...It truly is a masterpiece

[/ QUOTE ]

...then this probably isn't. do you see why?

that being said, i haven't seen it, but i plan to.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:30 AM

just saw cinderalla man and i really enjoyed the film. very well done.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:53 AM

I thought it was a very good film...a old-fashioned kinda flick.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I liked this a lot. Like Dom says, it's got an old-fashioned feel to it, and is nicely put together. Crowe and Zellwegger are a nice pairing as a married couple trying to do their best, and I was moved when Zellwegger was brought to tears by her little boy getting sick in their cold, cold hovel...

I found the final fight very exciting and overall, a good, good movie.