Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Play this way sometimes and that way sometimes...

I often read about people writing that they make play 'a' 25% of the time and play 'b' 75% of the time in different situations. How do you accomplish that? Do you use your watch as a randomiser? Or do you just play by "feeling"?

How serious are you people mixing up your play in this way? I think I just mix my play up a little bit by feeling when it's necessary. And one last question, how do you come up w/ the exact percentages of each play?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Play this way sometimes and that way sometimes...

by feel

%'s are just estimates
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 AM

I think people say "mix it up" if they donīt know exactly what to do... Also many players missunderstand to balance your lines. Most of the time (in midstakes poker)it is much(!) more important to play hand A like hand B and hand a as a function of your range.

Just my experiences...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 AM

yea its by feel, you need to play different to throw opponents off but people dont do it exactly, different spots warrant different plays
Old 06-12-2007, 10:33 AM

I never mix it up just to mix it up(or atleast very rarely). But, like I said in some other thread, I raise axo from the co approx 70% of the time. This does not mean that I have a randomizer that decides when to raise or fold. It means that approx 30% of the time I feel like it's not profitable to raise it from co, for a number of reasons. The biggest reason here is usually a button that likes to play back, and I feel like he's going to do it this specific time, so folding is better. Get it?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM

mix it up usually means that expectation differs due to gameflow.

For instance, you have made 2 bluffs where you have raised the flop, checked it down and had to show, or have folded to a flop shove. You think that villain may now shove or call liberally against what he perceives your weak flop raising range to be so next time you have a strong hand and both calling or raising on a certain flop both have merit you should choose to raise as this play in this situation would be best.

People say mix it up because there are a few different options that can be used and it is hard to quantify their exact worth without taking other factors into consideration. People may also say to mix it up to balance ranges, for instance most people would say that raising a strong hand on the flop is best on a wet board but to strengthen your calling range you should "mix it up" and sometimes call strong hands.

The percentages aren't exact, they are a figure based on what people expect their ranges to be.

For instance, I only cold call AA to a first raise a very small percent of the time so I may write in the forum that I re-raise 95% of the time and cc 5% of the time, other people may be using PT to look at exact % but most are estimating.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM

Okay, very nice post, i see i missunderstand a little bit [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM

alot of people keep a tally sheet next to their computer so they can be sure they're mathetmatically deviating their game. i know it sounds weird but having a sheet of roman numerals and tallies is a small price to pay for being unexploitable
Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I often read about people writing that they make play 'a' 25% of the time and play 'b' 75% of the time in different situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

99% of those people are clueless.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you accomplish that?

[/ QUOTE ]

They dont even play that way. THey just pull some numbers out of their... heads and start believing its the optimal way after writign them down.

[ QUOTE ]
How serious are you people mixing up your play in this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its sad but they are probably pretty serious.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I just mix my play up a little bit by feeling when it's necessary

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what all the good players do.

[ QUOTE ]
last question, how do you come up w/ the exact percentages of each play?

[/ QUOTE ]

See above.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Thank you all for your good response! You have definitley enlighten me a bit in this area and I can now proceed w/ my style of mixing up my game w/ more secure feeling it's the right way.