Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM

Location: Realising I suck at Poker (lifetime winner though!)
Default Shortstackin

Caould someone explain to me (or link to a post, i suck at search), why shortakin puts you at a mathmatical advantage please. I really dont see why it is!

Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Shortstackin

i'm not sure i have heard that it does.

what people are probably talking about is that it is not profitable to play alot of hands against shortstacks because you do not have the implied odds to play marginal hands agaisnt them.

you have less of an edge against them if you are better then them as well, as they have less of a stack to lose to you.

i take it you are talking about cash games, because obviously there are ICM issues in tournements, so a shortstack is worth more, chip for chip, then a big stack.

i'm not sure about any links or anything
Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 PM

It works like this.

First, you need a table populated by deepstacks. Preferably 150bbs. It is correct play for theses deepstacks to loosen up considerably against each other, because, after all, with the right flop 4c5c may be a monster. And with deepstacks, and the potential to get paid off big time (ie implied odds) 4c5c is likely profitable, even for a small raise, maybe, against the right opponents.

But you are also at the table, and your stack is not large enough to justify even a limp in terms of implied odds. In other words, even if you wanted to, you don't have enough money in front of you to pay him properly when he does hit big.

But because the rest of the table is deepstacked, it is difficult for him to base his decisions on you. If he does, he most forego some potentially profitable encounters with other deepstacks.

Additionally, bad players just take shortstacks less seriously.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:06 AM

If you're thinking that shortstacking might be a shortcut to making money at poker you've got an expensive lesson in front of you.

The online full ring games are extremely nitty, so shortstacking only hurts you there. And in 6max, the blinds will eat you up pretty quick.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:29 AM

One thing where this works is when there is a table full of fullstackers and everyone sees the flop if u go all in (9 persons). Your ev is 1/9th of the pot but since they still have money some more betting will occur and some people will fold or get bluffed which leaves less people to beat for you.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're thinking that shortstacking might be a shortcut to making money at poker you've got an expensive lesson in front of you.

The online full ring games are extremely nitty, so shortstacking only hurts you there. And in 6max, the blinds will eat you up pretty quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not true I was running for about 4PTBB/100 at 2NL 6 max for 20k hands. It was so mechanical and boring that I quit doing that. Now I have 5PTBB/100 at 2NL playing with full buy in and it's much more fun.

6 max game eats your stack faster but there are much more loose raises so your equity increases.

The problem is 90% of the shorstacks have no clue how to play shorstacked.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Well I've never played below 100nl in my life so I wouldn't know. I imagine you could do just about anything at 2nl and get 4ptbb/100.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:22 PM

The idea behind short stacking is that you are able to exploit the big stacks exploiting each other. Even though they cannot play speculative hands against you profitably, they cannot forgo playing them if they want to get full value from the other deep stacks. This means that when you get involved your hands will be, on average, of a much higher quality than those you are up against. The big stacks will have to fold when you get involved, which yields a profit for you, or play on with a range you are crushing, also profitable for you.

I hate playing with short stackers at the table. Takes some of the fun out of the game when a short stacker raises and you have to fold out a low pp or sc.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I've never played below 100nl in my life so I wouldn't know. I imagine you could do just about anything at 2nl and get 4ptbb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (but don't know) that he meant 1/2 (NL 200). I mean, I adjust my PAHUD/ multitable setup at NL5. Is there a NL2?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 PM

That's bascially Rolf's beginning PLO strategy.