Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Sat down at a NLO8 table by accident

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

Lieghloo: $99.00
thupkt: $54.65
glogee1: $84.65
alaird: $105.15
bbw113: $204.20
LostCause22539: $39.50
mopars111: $20.00
whaler55: $112.25
meljohn: $37.50

mopars111 posts $1.00
<font color="black">Preflop:</font> is dealt (9 Players)
glogee1 calls $1.00, alaird calls $1.00, bbw113 calls $1.00, LostCause22539 folds, mopars111 checks, 2 folds, Lieghloo calls $0.50, thupkt checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($6) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
Lieghloo checks, thupkt checks, glogee1 checks, alaird checks, <font color="red">bbw113 bets $1.00</font>, mopars111 folds, Lieghloo calls $1.00, thupkt folds, glogee1 calls $1.00, alaird calls $1.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Lieghloo bets all-in for $97.00</font>, glogee1 calls all-in for $82.65, 2 folds
Uncalled bet of $14.35 returned to Lieghloo

<font color="black">River:</font> ($175.30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $175.30 ($3 Rake)

I had just sat down at the table on the previous hand and did not realize I was sitting at a no limit table. My mistake- will pay better attention next time.

Easy enough preflop the flop call.

On flop I have draw to flush and a terrible draw to a straight and a backdoor low. Some may bet here but I usually don't. I have draws but no hand yet.

On turn I hit the straight. Now I have a hand with a redraw to the nut flush and draw to the nut low (no protection). I bet pot. OOPS this is a no limit table and I shoved myy stack without realizing what I had done. I am not afraid of my play, I know I have a strong hand with redraws but I am concerned I will get no callers but lo and behold I get a caller. The hands pop up and I sure enough I am way ahead. then the dreaded paired board kills me.

What amazed me about this hand is what he called his whole stack with. The lowest set posible with no low possible and a jack high draw to a flush . Amazing. I would make the same play over and over again if I knew his hand and he would probably do the same. Over the long run I kill him.

Question. I do not normally play NLO8. What would be a proper bet on the turn? I have no reads (just sat down and saw no familiar faces. Stack sizes listed above.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Sat down at a NLO8 table by accident

post what hand you had
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM

That's exactly how I play that hand in NLO8, and for exactly that reason. They will call a PSB with just the nut low draw here, so why not get as many sklansky bucks as possible and just push? This is why NLO8 is far and away my most profitable game.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:24 AM

Sorry thought it was attached.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Lieghloo [8s 2h Ah Td]
Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 PM

Its entirely possible that you DID bet the correct amount. In No limit hold em theory and practice Sklansky says something about how an all in move is often preferable because while youll get called slightly less often, youll be getting called for so much more, etc...

Pushing on the turn has the added benefit of getting the most out of draws that are unlikely to pay you off on the river unless they hit.

Of course, in this case, you had most of the nut draws yourself. I think the important consideration is that you want to put the whole stack in by the river, unless the board pairs (I suppose a high spade or straight card could give you some pause too, but you want to get it all in on a lot of river cards).

If you bet $20 into the $10 pot on the turn you would be able to push for $77 into a $50 pot on the river. Im guessing that somewhere between $15 and $25 is correct if this is your plan.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Hand converter says its Hold 'Em. So confused.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand converter says its Hold 'Em. So confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just noticed that, not sure why it says that, first time using this converter but can assure you it was NL O8 and not holdem. Guess I'll try the converter again and see what it does.