Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 11:50 AM

Default which game requires the least amount of thinking hand reading?

This has been a weakness of mine and I read books such as harrington on holdem 1 and no limit holdem theory and practice I just don't think i will ever "get" no limit holdem because there are way too many things to consider.

So what game requires the LEAST amount of thinking, analyzing and hand reading?

No limit holdem requires you to:

Look at my cards, what i think my opponent has, what my opponent puts me on, what does my opponent thinks i put him on. Other things like I have no idea if i have the best hand now and a flush card came on the turn or river. Does he want to represent the flush or should i just push to represent it?

I know this is just random thoughts coming out but I think you know what I mean. I am not a deep thinker. In fact, I don't even think I think like an average poker player. I can't put my opponent on a hand range. Usually i say okay hes on a flush draw or he has AK or AA or he hit a set? Basically what i want to say is I never know where i stand in a hand unless I actually hold a monster. Top pair situations are still marginal for me when my opponents call my flop bet.

So my question is what poker game requires the least amount of thinking and hand reading skills. I rather play a game that requires me to not ask myself so many questions that no limit holdem requires.

Would limit omaha hi low be it since it is basically trying to play the nuts everyhand both hi and low. 7 card stud hi low seems to be another one of these games. But the problem is not many players play these 2 games. What about pot limit omaha? I never tried the game before. Is there more certainty? I know limit holdem is much more straightforward and one mistake only cost you a couple of bets.

No limit holdem has just got too complex for me. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: which game requires the least amount of thinking hand reading?

chinese poker?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:04 PM

Umm i play that sometimes but do not like it. I am basically talking about the general poker games like limit holdem, razz, stud, stud hi low, limit omaha hi low, pot limit omaha, pot limit omaha hi low, triple draw 1-5 or 2-7. Any of those games was what i was thinking.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Low limit O/8
Old 06-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Not knowing where you stand is normal, just be aware of way you may stand and try to make decisions that have the best long term expectation. You have many helpful abstractions available like "proection" to help with this, so you just need to make the plays you already understand for the greatest profit or smallest losses in the most likely cases and try not to announce your precise hand all the time. Third level thinking is not a requirement, be tight, be aggressive, and since you've read NLHETAP you should have some very useful tools for hand reading from the second part.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 PM

I'd go with Razz, esp. at the low limits. Most plays are automatic depending on the cards and boards that out.

If you're just asking from the perspective, "what allows me to just play great hands and not have to worry too much about what my opponents are holding?", a lot of the low limit games (regardless of variant) could suffice.

You can nut-peddle in just about any game, albeit the HE games would be tougher b/c opponents generally have more understanding of that game.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Yea but isn't no limit holdem the game that you can win the most money? I think a good 400NL player makes a lot more than a 10-20 limit holdem player right assuming they play the same amount of tables and time?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea but isn't no limit holdem the game that you can win the most money? I think a good 400NL player makes a lot more than a 10-20 limit holdem player right assuming they play the same amount of tables and time?

[/ QUOTE ]

What game can you make the most money at isn't the OP's question though.

Just to refresh:

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is what poker game requires the least amount of thinking and hand reading skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

NLHE ain't this.

Now, if he updated his question to "least amount of hand-reading/thinking skills WHILE making the most money", then I wouldn't have answered Razz. Sure, he may have thought that we'd assume this, but I was just going on the words in his OP.

I'd probably suggest O8, although I believe hand-reading plays a much larger role than a lot of current players think.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:01 PM

What does this have to do with the original question?

Clearly, OP doesn't think he has the requisite skills to be a winner at NL. If anything, he's got one edge on a lot of players. He's honest with himself.

Limit and NL require different skills for success, so whether or not a player can make more at one than the other is player dependent. One thing is, you can play more tables at NL. The action moves a bit slower than limit.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:15 PM

thanks kurn. So from what you hear from me, would all the other games limit games be right for me?