Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Declaring a hand question?

Hi, first timer poster here and i hope this question isnt too basic for everyone but i would appreicate help if anyone(s) can provide a definitive answer for me.
Pretty much i just need help confirming a rule of my local tournament, im sure they are being misunderstood (either by myself or the tournament director), because ive only really played online im not sure 100% how to interperate 'live game' rules, the rule in question is(taken from their website):

20 Declarations Verbal declarations as to the content of a player’s hand are not binding; however, any player deliberately miscalling his or her hand may be penalized.

I take that to mean, when you show a hand down, and you say "i have two pair" you arent bound to that if you actually have a fullhouse, and conversely it covers if you miss call two pairs by saying you have a fullhouse..

However, the tournament director says the rules mean you can talk about your hand to players (while the hand is live) , telling them what you have while its not actually binding that you have to be holding the hand you say you do, they says its all part of poker and misdirection and that kinda thing.

As far as i knew you arent ment to comment on your hand while the hand is live, but ive only really played online so was just looking for other players insight on what that rule might actually mean...

thanks in advance for any help
J
Old 06-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Declaring a hand question?

The first rule you are referring to is that "Cards Speak" which means that when there is a showdown, even if you say I have Ace high, when you actually have two pair, your hand is two pair.

I am not sure of what you are referring to regarding talk about your hand while it's live. Usually players are not suppose to talk about their hand during the actual hand. A lot of players say its fine when it is heads-up.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

20 Declarations Verbal declarations as to the content of a player’s hand are not binding; however, any player deliberately miscalling his or her hand may be penalized.

I take that to mean, when you show a hand down, and you say "i have two pair" you arent bound to that if you actually have a fullhouse, and conversely it covers if you miss call two pairs by saying you have a fullhouse..

[/ QUOTE ]

Means, if you say "Full house" before tabling your cards at the Showdown, your opponent mucks (trusting you are telling the truth), but you only have two pair (or trips), you do not lose the pot. It is up to your opponent to wait to see your hand.
If, in the opinion of the TD or Floorman, you intentionally miscalled your hand ("Diamond flush" when you have two spades, etc) to get your opponent to muck his hand at the Showdown, you can be assessed a penalty.
This deals with saying your hand is better than it actually is, not worse.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are four things to mention here.

1. At showdown after flipping over your cards, the cards speak so if you say I have a pair and you actually have some weird straight that you didn't see, the straight counts anyways.

2. If during a hand at showdown and before flipping your cards over, you say you have two aces, there's a bet and a call and then a flip over the cards, you play your actual hand and not what you declared.

3. In tournament play, you can never declare your hand before flipping it over or until the action is done and there's a showdown. For example, you are heads up and on the button. BB moves all-in on the river. You cannot say well I have two pair and I'm not sure if that is good. You can't table talk like this to try to get a reaction out of the opponent. (You can in cash games though heads up).

4. The last scenario is getting to showdown and stating your hand by saying something like I hit the flush. You could cause your opponent to muck his top pair when in fact you have K high but were just trying to shoot an angle. That's pretty hard to prove though that you were intentionally doing it.

I'd have to see the other rules for your tourney but that's my opinion about these scenarios.