Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Default wanting to get into surfing

I am interested in learning how to surf. I was wondering if any posters are into it. I looked into some stuff on the net which had some info, but other than that im pretty clueless. Just wondering what size board to start with, how much to spend on a first board etc etc.

the staff at the closest surf shop were morons for lack of a better word. so any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: wanting to get into surfing

My advice would be to go to the local surfing beach and try to make friends with some of the guys there and ask them these questions. They can then tell you what to buy, where to buy it, etc. After that you should pay someone good to give you a lesson. Surfing isn't easy and you need some instruction to get started.

I have a friend who is a very good surfer. Kid spends most of his spare time during the summer doing it. It's definitely a good hobby. You get pretty good exercise, and if you're half decent looking and good at it, you'll pull in major ass as well.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Start watching JFC.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Start small.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:49 PM

What would Johnny Utah do?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Vaya con dios, brah.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Start watching JFC.

[/ QUOTE ]

see God OP
Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM

Mitch Yost needs to get back in the game.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:00 AM

Look for a longboard, if you're average height probably about a 9'6". Start used, try Craiglist or a local surf shop. Haven't bought for awhile but a good, used surfboard is probably going to run you $400 or so is my guess. Don't skimp on size. The learning curve is tough, you need length and thickness to float you. It's hard to paddle into waves at first. Go to a beach break where there aren't too many people around and just work in the white wash on paddling and standing up. Once you're able to pop up, move to the outside and start going for waves.

Stay with it, it takes awhile to get it and for your paddling muscles to start to get strong. Let me know if you have more specific questions. It would certainly help if someone who surfs could take you out your first time.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look for a longboard, if you're average height probably about a 9'6". Start used, try Craiglist or a local surf shop. Haven't bought for awhile but a good, used surfboard is probably going to run you $400 or so is my guess. Don't skimp on size. The learning curve is tough, you need length and thickness to float you. It's hard to paddle into waves at first. Go to a beach break where there aren't too many people around and just work in the white wash on paddling and standing up. Once you're able to pop up, move to the outside and start going for waves.

Stay with it, it takes awhile to get it and for your paddling muscles to start to get strong. Let me know if you have more specific questions. It would certainly help if someone who surfs could take you out your first time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great advice. When I started I bought an used "normal" board at 7'1" and had a very difficult time learning to do anything with that. Hopping into the bigger waves didn't make it any easier, either. There's a good reason my buddies called me "submarine" since I spent far more time under water than on the board.

Haven't been able to surf for 2 years now, but the next time I get into an area where it's possible, I'll go for a long board first, too. Just far more relaxing and easier to handle.