Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 04:33 PM

Default How do I study poker books?

I haven't been in school for a few years, and I was wondering how I go about studying some poker books I got. Sklansky's NL Hold Em, Theory of Poker, and Ed's Hold Em book. Should I just read them, or take notes, or what?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: How do I study poker books?

read them, put them away, play micros for a few months, then read them again.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Will this help me become a better player? Would you rank book learning as a big skill in poker?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Will this help me become a better player? Would you rank book learning as a big skill in poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are losing, try to figure out why. For me at first I noticed I was losing because I kept having hands dominated. Then by reading SSHE, I realized that I was cold calling too much. So I cut that out and I didn't lose as much. Then I noticed I lost most when I was out of position. So I learned to either raise first into the pot or fold. Then I started winning. It's a continual learning process. But the key is to be completely honest w/ yourself. Why are you losing? If you are losing, you are doing something wrong.(long term, not short term). Fix your holes and things will get better. But learn as much as you can.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Read the books, take notes of the important points and then play some poker. Come back and read the books again and play some more poker and then repeat.

It's impossible to take in all the concepts in the books in one go and it's only by playing and then going back to the books that you start to identify with some of the things you are reading and also pick up on little nuggets of information that you've missed out on previously.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 PM

The key is to read, then play, and read again. etc...

Ask yourself "why".
Why the author says to play this hand that way.
Don't learn by heart.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 PM

What i do is just read the book an d parts i'm not good at I read again. SSHE i've read 4 times already and practice 1 or 2 concepts at a time when i play a table.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:48 AM

Read the books, but don't go reading 100 books. Stick to the essentials and reread them quite a bit, and yes they're pretty essential with the level of play today.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Also, go through your hands and try to find leaks, or at least copy/paste a hh that you were lost and go back to it later. Then if you can't see what the clear play is, post it. It's best when you play a hand and you were doing it wrong and get told that this was a bad line and what the best alternative line is because this is how you'll plug those leaks.

But yes, book learning will help and it's a must, not only starting out but as you progress. Don't be the guy, that reads the book once and then never picks it up again. These are the guys that have decent PT pre-flop numbers but can never figure out why they can't beat the game.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM

In anything you do, it's about the fundamentals. You may have great talent or the ability to be tricky, but you have to get the fundamentals down first.

In football, it's blocking and tackling. In music, tone quality, scales, and etudes. Learning Spanish? You better memorize the irregular verbs.

Poker is no different, and there a lot of fundamentals to learn: starting hands, raising hands, pot odds, implied odds, putting your opponent on a range of hands. etc, etc. The more you study, the more you will learn. Unless you name is Wolfgang Mozart, you won't automatically be expert at something the first time you try it. Some of it is just hard work, learning, and practicing.

By the way, don't get discouraged, some are faster learners than others. In 10th grade, I was in the number four band in high school. I kept at it, and wound up being first chair in a U.S. Army Band. Now I'm learning poker at age 50, slooging my way through the Pokerstars $1+.20 sit-n-goes until I build a bankroll and move up.

It's never too late to learn, and you can always learn more.