Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Raise river for value?

SB is very passive, 70/0.4/0.8. BB is a maniac who just lost a big pot and likely on tilt, raises and reraises with almost anything.
Comments on all streets welcome.

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

If any other person had bet that river I would have reraised, but I decided to call just because he was so passive, afraid of a straight of possible a set. Big mistake?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Raise river for value?

yes I would raise. how does sb have a straight or a set? I dont see it. I think it's two pair or a king or something weird.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:59 PM

10J, 99, I know it is unlikely but were talking about an extremely passive player here. I can't recalling him raising a single time before.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:07 PM

.8 isn't really that passive considering his vpip

definately raise here you are ahead a lot of the time vs a "slowplayed" TPGK or 2pair and BB is padding the pot

44 77 88 are unlikely based on villain's play and possible hand combinations. 99 is reasonable given the action but that is only 1 combo. TJ wouldn't make any sense based on the action unless it is ThJh, which again is only 1 combo.

so you don't have very much to be worried about. you are ahead more often than not.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM

I'm having some trouble with bets out of the blue from passive players... I think part of the reason I didn't reraise here was that just a few hands earlier I lead on the flop and turn with top pair and just got called and then on the river he suddenly bets out on a blank. I reraise and he makes it 3-bets, I Doh! to myself as I call and he turns over a flopped house.

I really need to get better at these situations as I feel I'm missing on a lot of value not being agressive enough when I have top pair/two pair, but at the same time I lose a lot of bets by being to aggressive with top pair/two pair...

Another hand I'd like some feedback on:

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO checks, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (14.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Can't help but feel I should have 3-bet the turn... On the river I was obviously afraid of a flush, but maybe bet/call of bet/fold is a better option than check/call? When I checked behind me I knew I had missed one bet...
Old 06-06-2007, 02:59 PM

unless JhTh, you have the best hand way too often not to raise here IMO. He probably have two pair also and since he's so passive, he won't donk the flop with JhTh so easy raise.

2nd hand, well played.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:07 PM

you didn't give any readsm, but versus most this hand is fine.

you have defined your hand on the flop as TPGK+ and he has taken a very strong line, calling your flop 3bet to pop the turn. putting in more action would be a mistake, he has 2pair/set more than a weaker ace or a dumb spew here.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM

yeah, don't 3 bet the turn in the AK hand. i think you played it fine
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 PM

Here is another one, this time with a overpair.
Just sat down so no reads yet.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 PM

since a 7 is quit possible at very low limit for the SB, i like your lines here. Just let him hang himself. If you reraise, he fold and you make less money. Also you lose less when he does have the 7.

But make a note on him