Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Jacks split

.10 - .20 on FTP I take the betting lead with split Jacks, guy to my left showing an 8 calls 4ths a brick for us both he checks, I bet, he calls 5th street is another Jack I bet-he calls. This repeats till the river where I check call and he turns over a straight. Same thing happened with Split Jacks and rolled up Kings. Any ideas or comments. Should I have been check raising on 4th ? 5th ? or are trip Jacks not strong enough to push heads up, in a game with 0 fold equity?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Jacks split

might help to post the hand so we can see how the action went. It doesnt sound like you should be doing anything but betting though....can't really count on people in low limit games to bet your hand for you.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Your focus is entirely wrong - you're thinking more about winning pots, when you should be thinking about winning money. Trips are a big favorite against most hands and deserve to be pushed against all but the scariest boards. Since your opponents are often drawing extremely thin vs your trips, you actually want them to call instead of folding (you will lose an extra pot once in a while, but the added money from the great majority of the pots you win more than make up for it). Don't try for the c/r with an open paired door: few opponents will oblige you by betting against your scary board, and you're just giving them a free card - the worst thing you can do in these circumstances.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Forget the FPS at these levels. TAG poker is the way to go. Most of these idiots are calling stations & have absolutely no strategy whatsoever. FTP forgot to give them a fold button!