Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Fold a set here? Omaha/8PL

Hi! I folded here, being afraid of the straight. even though i'm a noob, I know that he has to use two cards from his hole, and 3 from the board. However, turn completes both J8, KJ, QJ and so on. Do you fold here?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $0.02 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($2.90)
Hero ($5.40)
SB ($4.15)
BB ($2.29)
UTG ($1.56)
UTG+1 ($3.97)
MP1 ($4.27)
MP2 ($0.91)
MP3 ($3.39)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.14) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.14</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls $0.14, CO folds.

Turn: ($0.42) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $0.42</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $0.84
Old 06-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Fold a set here? Omaha/8PL

Yes. Fold preflop.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:29 AM

fold pf, fold flop dont bet this flop. fold turn
Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Reasonable button call with that many limpers...people really underestimate the power of sets in this game, and with the weak flush draw and connectors you have enough to go with it. It does have to be played skilfully, but you're here to learn to become skillful, right?

Flop bet isn't terrible but a check is ok too. There are 6 4 card hands out there, and no one's getting in without the straight.

Turn is fine to fold.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 PM

I disagree with the call being reasonable. If he's here to learn how to become skillful, then I think he first needs to understand what a good starting hand is and *why* those hands will favor over the 8873 hand *in the long run*.

Magaca: Just for starters: The hand is poor, and it will usually play poorly after the flop as well. If you're currently in the transition from holdem to O8, I can see where you might think that a hand containing a pair is a good hand, but O8 plays nothing like holdem and you'll need to understand why that is such (which you will if you keep playing). Omaha8 is a game of the NUTS---and that's especially true when you're playing lower limits because more players are going to see the flop, which means, there's going to be that many more hands/combinations of cards that will be drawing against you.

Get yourself some good O8 literature if you plan on sticking with it (Ray Zee comes to mind).

And this is just food for thought: You might want to practice and hone your skills at Limit O8 before you venture into PLO8---PL is a much tougher game and you'll go broke faster if you don't know what you're doing. No offense, I've gone broke several times before I became winner at it.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:51 PM

Okay, thanks a lot! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Could you recommend any books? I'm not sure what Ray Zee is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, i won't go broke, i use conservative BRM, and i am a winner at my NLHE limit, so if o8 [censored] up, i'll yank the BR back up in NLHE. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2007, 01:26 PM

Ray Zee is a poker player and author. Many years ago, he wrote a book on high-low (still one of the better books out there, imo) called Ray Zee High-Low Split Poker. It covers O8 and Stud8.

You can find it/order it from 2+2----just search around the home page under "books" and you'll find it.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:37 PM

okay, thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reasonable button call with that many limpers...people really underestimate the power of sets in this game, and with the weak flush draw and connectors you have enough to go with it. It does have to be played skilfully, but you're here to learn to become skillful, right?

Flop bet isn't terrible but a check is ok too. There are 6 4 card hands out there, and no one's getting in without the straight.

Turn is fine to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, disregard everything in the above post.

Preflop is a super standard fold, never a limp, and anyone who advocates playing this hand preflop is a gigantic donk.

I wont go into detail, but just pretend like you never read the above quote. Terrible advice.

Really, really, terrible advice.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Another n00b here, but I would fold pf and check/call flop.