Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 11:52 PM

Default (NL200) Huge river overbet by LAG-Fish on 3 flush board

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($271.22)
SB ($189.50)
Hero ($249.40)
UTG ($309.04)
UTG+1 ($40)
MP1 ($182)
MP2 ($514.63)
MP3 ($45.35)
CO ($223.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls $2, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($9) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls $6, SB calls $6.

Turn: ($27) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $25</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $25.

River: ($77) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button calls $271.22 (All-In), Hero ???

Villain is 60/15/5/78
Earlier I paid off his top pair kings with a 5 kicker which he bet strongly on all three streets from the button. I had K4 in the big blind. He ssems to be pretty wild.

I called the turn because I didn't believe he had the flush because of his pot-sized bet. If I was good on the turn I am still good on the river. Can I call this?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: (NL200) Huge river overbet by LAG-Fish on 3 flush board

This is definitely read based. Is he the kind to bluff like this? Is he so stupid as to try and value bet all in at 4x the pot?

You're only at two pair which means sets are beating you, and AK,89,2diamonds You're hand is only so strong here and if he wants to stack off you should evaluate what he'd wanna stack off with.

He's agressive and likes to put money in the pot with strong tendancies to showdown so it seems to me he bluffs like mad and everyone at the table knows it. That said you need to evaluate this as a bluff. The flop he simply called which is indicative that he may not have that made straight.

The strong turn bet is often a bluff, and the all in at the river could be a desperate attempt to salvage a failed bluff. Is this the way he plays?

I'd need strong reads to tell me he was bluffing.

He bets wildly and he knows that this keeps people from having a clue as to what he's doing. He may expect this to get him paid off when he dumps in like this. Usually when people push in I assume they've got it without strong implications otherwise.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 AM

I am fairly certain he does not have a set here. If he had QQ-TT he raises either pre-flop or on the flop. He will fold 44/33 on the flop. He probably also does not have AK because of pre-flop and flop action. He could have K9 or 98 but I doubt he will turn them into a bluff.

So my read basically tells me he has either a flush or air.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:51 PM

I agree with your read. The question to ask is what has he read you for i.e. what range does he put you on? I don't think he put you on a flush from your actions. You've played the hand a little weak to this point IMO. He called you with something on the flop and many hands fit into that flop so a bluff isn't out of the question. If he had a flush would he bet in such a way to scare off another good hand that would call a lot of bets on the river here? I think there's a good enough chance he's bluffing to call it here but it is close IMO FWIW.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 PM

2pair on drawy board - bad spot for trapping.

You dont know what youre at because you didnt bet the turn. In most games i would also consider a stronger bet on the flop (and possibly resign if both bets are called or worse).
Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 PM

he needs to not have a flush a significant portion of the time here for this call to be ev. its nitpicky but bet the full pot on the flop since theres so many turn cards you dont want to see. bet / folding the turn is a good default line, probably not against this guy. if this is the first time hes overbet you should fold and make a note.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:35 PM

I would agree if there was just the fish at the turn.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:36 PM

I'd fold for sure.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 PM

solid 3940th post.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 PM

I called because I don't think his actions were consistent with the way I expect him to play a flush. For reasons I have posted earlier I didn't believe this was a set or straight either.

Villain shows [ Ad, 3h ]a pair of Threes.