Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Job Search Advice

A little background, i graduated with my masters in economics in december, and have a bachelors in finance. I have been looking for a job for the last 5 months. I have been close on a few occasions to landing a job, however i have no idea what happened in one case, and in one case my grades were probably a contributing factor (2.9 undergrad, 3.2 graduate). The dilema is this, i dont want to move if i dont have to. I have applied for some jobs out of state and have not landed an interview yet. I have literally applied at every job available in town. Also i should mention i have been playing poker professionally for the last 4 years and have not worked. The way i see it my options are

1) Continue looking and applying for jobs here as they come up

2) Suck it up and move

3) Continue playing poker professionally

4) Return to school and speed thru another degree that has higher demand, ie an engineering degree of some variety.

to be honest at this point im leaning towards 4. Im only 25 and could probably finish another degree in 1 1/2 years. Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Job Search Advice

Do what I did. Become a project engineer for a construction contractor. I have a degree in finance and a minor in econ, and I make about 30% more a year doing this, than if I would have worked in the finance field.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Not enough background.

How old are you? What other jobs have you worked? What salary range are you looking for? Where are you located? From what college did you graduate?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:52 AM

3.2 graduate GPA? That requires being borderline retarded, doesn't it?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 AM

Im 25, i graduated from Wichita State university. I am well aware of the mistakes i have made, poor school choice, poor work ethic in school. I also realize that its not very smart to dwell on the past. I need an action plan to move forward in my life which is why i amde this post to hopefully get some good suggestions. I guess i am looking for jobs in the 45,000 and up range.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 PM

Wichita,

Do you still live in Wichita? If so, beat.

I'm probably too lacking in detail to provide accurate advice here. For example, it's possible you suck at interviewing - I know plenty of good people who do - or perhaps your follow-up after applying for jobs is inadequate.

Also, I'm not sure how relevant advanced degrees are to your field. In my line of recruiting they're borderline worthless, with the exception of a very select few companies or for certain management positions. I mean, if you enjoy it and can take on the cost of school I say go for it, but I wonder if it will provide adequate ROI.

Also, update on roommate situation?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Well i wouldnt be going for an advanced degree at this point. I already have a masters in econ and feel that i may need to change gears educationally to meet my goals. In other words i may go back and get a completely different bachelors degree in something like engineering. Not only does it have much higher demand in the real world, but i think i would be more motivated to apply myself this time around.
It may be that i suck at interviewing. The last company i interviewed for i had a friend that worked there. He was able to do a little bit of spying. Out of the interview they were impressed with me but they wondered why my grades were as mediocre as they are. In other words from what my friend told me, that my interview combined with my grades led them to believe that i was an underachiever. (which may well be very accurate) Anyways I also am not too thrilled about a career in corporate finance at this point and think i may have a better career/life if i pursue something a little more challenging/fulfilling.

As far as the roommate goes, he is running out the clock here and started playing games last week. Inviting mutual friends over and then completely shutting me out from whatever their plans were etc. So we got into it again and i havent seen much of him. He i think wants to try and fix the situation but at this point im so fed up i dont see the point.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:43 PM

I think the combination of no work history and subpar academics mean you have a good deal to overcome. If, as you suggest below, you are not really interested in a finance job and that comes across even a little in an interview you're in trouble.

For upcoming interviews I would recommend you hit these weaknesses up front by addressing the concerns directly. This will accomplish two things: 1) interviewer can give you some idea of what s/he needs to hear to move forward, and 2) interviewer sees you are open, on the ball and willing to take constructive criticism.

Other than that, I think you need to bring enthusiasm and energy to make the case that you really want the job and are prepared to apply yourself, learn and achieve. Of course, if you really want the job and are prepared to apply yourself, learn and achieve, so much the better.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3.2 graduate GPA? That requires being borderline retarded, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you're leveling. If you're not, you're old. 3.2 is above a B average.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:50 PM

Don't tell people your GPA unless they ask. Why do people put this on their resume?