Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Default .05/.10 PLO8 - Too aggressive ?

I wasn't sure if I was overly aggressive on this hand...that's why I'm posting it. Over the 60+ hands I was dealt in this session I had played only 7. Here are the stats of villain.

VP$IP: 36.67%
PFR: 3.33%
AF: .73

Stage #673397027: Omaha Hi/Lo Pot Limit $0.10 - 2007-06-03 14:51:34 (ET)
Table: LOS ANGELES (Real Money) Seat #7 is the dealer
Seat 7 - RON126 ($4.40 in chips)
Seat 8 - Hero ($11.35 in chips)
Seat 9 - JOELONG ($6.60 in chips)
Seat 1 - TURTLE_ARMS ($19.90 in chips)
Seat 2 - ARROWMAN888 ($11.09 in chips)
Seat 3 - MIKEGNOTE1 ($3.70 in chips)
Seat 4 - LORIDUE ($12.24 in chips)
Seat 5 - PETERFISH ($18.81 in chips)
Seat 6 - OCEAN777 ($9.05 in chips)
Hero - Posts small blind $0.05
JOELONG - Posts big blind $0.10
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Call, Fold, 4 Callers, Fold, Hero - Raises $0.15 to $0.20, 6 Callers
Flop: (7 handed)
[J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Hero - Bets $0.70
JOELONG - Calls $0.70
TURTLE_ARMS - Folds
MIKEGNOTE1 - Folds
LORIDUE - Calls $0.70
PETERFISH - Folds
OCEAN777 - Folds

NOTE: At this point, I wasn't really worried because I still had outs to a straight and outs for an Ace high flush.

Turn:
[J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Hero - Bets $1.60
JOELONG - Calls $1.60
LORIDUE - Folds

NOTE: Now I'm thinking I'm probably beat by either AT or 9T, or two pair. My plan is to obviously check fold the river if blank hits.

River:
[J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Hero - Bets $4.20
JOELONG - All-In $4.10

Obviously I got lucky on the hand, but I didn't feel so bad after villain showed his cards. He should have been worried about the same hands I was worried and should have folded the river after I put him all in, knowing he was beat(No...he didn't have the 2nd nut flush). But maybe he was thinking that way.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome. Thanks in advance.

AC
Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: .05/.10 PLO8 - Too aggressive ?

Flop bet is standard I think for nut flush draw on a high board. Turn bet seems overambitious to me with two players still in the hand. I do think you sometimes have to fire a second barrel on the turn with a draw, so as not to play too transparently, but this board with two opponents is a bad place for it. You won't get two folds often enough.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM

The really puzzling part is the other player's call. And his failure to play back at you, ever. But I guess that's why villain is playing this limit. He's really not a villain -- more like an attractive nuisance with calamitous intent.

I'd like to help, but I didn't really learn enough about your play to even comment. Your play was sketchy OOP but among a range of acceptable plays IMO. Expect a lot of variance if you try this above the micro limits.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think you sometimes have to fire a second barrel on the turn with a draw, so as not to play too transparently...

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing. Of the 7 hands I had played I went to show down twice and check folded on the flop or turn with the others. I didn't want to seem transparent or weak tight. However, I think at the micro limits the vast majority of the players don't pay attention to how many hands their opponents have played or what their opponents are possibly holding.

The turn was a little ambitious, but I didn't want to lose control of the hand (probably the NLHE donk in me). I was worried if I checked, villain might pot it on me and force me out of the hand. I still can't believe he didn't fold the river. Like I said, after he showed his cards I didn't feel as bad about my play on the turn.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:32 PM

Truthiness,

Would you have rather seen a check/fold on the turn unless I'm getting better than 4:1 pots odds?

AC