Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Sharing Internet Connection/Networking

My brother just got home from college and he brought his computer with him and needs to connect to the internet. So we need to share the DSL connection between his computer and the home computer. I don't really want the computers to be networked per se, like we don't need to share files or anything like that, just the connection. Is a router the easiest way to go about this? Or are there other methods? Can we do this wirelessly if he buys a wireless card for his PC?
Old 06-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Sharing Internet Connection/Networking

Without a wireless access point on the DSL his wireless card won't be much good. If your DSL line is coming right out of the modem into your machine then a router is the easiest way to acheive this and will have the added benefit of making your home machine more secure. Whether you want to go with a router that is also a wireless access point just for your brother is up to you.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Is this a common practice.. connecting to the internet without NAT? Am I wrong to think this is a terrible idea?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 PM

In one computer households I would imagine there are more computers plugged directly into the cable/dsl modem than going through a NAT. It's easier and cheaper. All those zombie machines have to come from somewhere...
Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Ok, now I feel retarded. What is NAT? I know it stands for Network Address Translation, but I only have a vague idea of what it does. NAT only works thru a router, is this correct? Like, I'm not using NAT right now (i don't have a router, and am not connected to a LAN or anything). Can someone explain?

Anyway, back to the connection sharing. Kerowo, apparently my brother talked to the company who makes our DSL modem and the rep that the whole wireless thing is viable. So the modem must be an access point? Also, what is the difference b/t using a router or ICS, and just having both computers in the same room and connecting them both to the modem directly?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Security is better when the whole internet isn't connecting directly to your machine but are instead going through a router.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, what is the difference b/t using a router or ICS, and just having both computers in the same room and connecting them both to the modem directly?

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you plan to connect more than one computer directly to the modem? How many ports are on the modem? It's possible that your "modem" is really a modem/router/wireless AP combo. What is the serial/model number on your modem?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:13 AM

After inspecting my "modem" more thoroughly, I found that it is in fact a combination device. Model is Westell Versalink 327W. It has 4 ethernet ports and wireless capability. I suppose then that the wireless option is the best way to go, either that or run a really long ethernet cable thru the living room. Oh yeah Funky, can u explain the NAT thing?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 AM

NAT allows multiple users on a local network to access the internet using a single public IP address. Each computer on your LAN will have a different private IP address (usually 192.168.x.x). All incoming/outgoing traffic goes through the router, which handles the conversion from public/private IP. Remote computers (webserver, poker site, online game, hacker) have no idea that you are behind a NAT. Your NAT device (router) also blocks pings, keeps people from snooping around on your network, and will block various other attacks.