Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 PM

Default 4/180 Disguised hand - check/bet from SB

Hi All,

Want to get ur thoughts on this hand, where I smooth called preflop to disguise my hand, and also that UTG raiser was fairly tight.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t6510)
BB (t1465)
UTG (t4155)
UTG+1 (t4625)
MP1 (t6158)
MP2 (t8690)
CO (t16845)
Button (t8020)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t800, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t700, BB calls t600.

Flop: (t3200) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

What do I do now?

Cheers,

Jon
Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: 4/180 Disguised hand - check/bet from SB

Bet ~2k, call a re-raise, shove turn if called.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 PM

I shove this right here ...
Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 PM

I don't really know why you'd want to disguise a hand like AKo when in such a bad position. With an UTG Raise and CO Call, I'm almost always raising this hand in SB or BB, with stack sizes I'll probably push all in with this. CO with the big stack could easily be calling light. UTG, that's read dependent, but a 4xBB raise is usually a low to middle pair or Ax that doesn't want too much action. And BB who is yet to act is a small stack anyway who shouldn't worry you much. If everyone folds you get 1800 more. The only callers you're really worried about are AA or KK.

As played, I probably bet 1/2-2/3 of the pot, or about 2000 just to make it a nice even number. I'm not trying to get too fancy with this, as you're in bad position.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll probably push all in with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, push pre
Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 PM

i agree with AIR, your the worst position at the table, i would re-raise here also. If your making a play here its a tough spot your gonna be in if a king or ace doesnt hit. With this flop raise - re-raise.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:27 PM

Don't disguise this hand in this position. You need to be raising/pushing this after the original raiser. As played, push the flop.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't disguise this hand in this position. You need to be raising/pushing this after the original raiser. As played, push the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt I was deep enough here to call even though position was spew.

As it played i'm also not sure that pushing is correct here on this flop. I we give UTG a range of lets say AQ+, KQ, TT+ then the only hand I get any money off by pushing is KQ. All the other hands he can fold or call and he would be playing 100% correctly.

However, if I check (I know I run the risk of letting a flush draw get there) but if we assume the same starting hands, UTG, will bet out all but one (AQ) to protect himself from the possible flush draw then I can CRAI from the SB.

Is my thinking was off here.

I just seem to remember a few posts a while back advocating trying to get your opponents to make mistakes and not letting them play 100% correctly.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 05-31-2007, 08:13 PM

The problem is you really aren't deep enough to simply call preflop. You have 1900 in the pot before you call, your call makes it 2600, and if the BB calls you get 3200 in the pot as was the case in this hand. And now you are left with 5700. Now, what if you don't hit that flop? Are you going to throw a probe bet out there for 1/2 the pot (1500 leaving you with 4200)? And what if you just check when you don't hit, are you going to call a bet of 1/2-2/3 pot? You see where I'm going with this? That 800 you just called can get very expensive later when you don't hit. Or if you Check/fold a dry flop, you just wasted 800. AK is a hand that likes to see all 5 cards to really be useful. I know you got lucky and hit your TPTK this hand, but most of the time AK doesn't hit on the flop.

With that said, as played you probably still aren't deep enough to be playing real fancy out of position like this. I'm not necessarily advocating a push here, I still think you can get some calls from hands like 99-QQ here by betting 2000. You don't always have to check raise to get someone to give you money. And if they fold to it, so be it, TPTK is not exactly a lock to win in a multiway pot.