Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 08:49 PM

Default father infects daughters husband with deadly TB virus

"The patient was identified as Andrew Speaker, a 31-year-old personal injury lawyer who returned last week from his wedding and honeymoon trip through Italy, the Greek isles and other spots in Europe. His new father-in-law, Robert C. Cooksey, is a CDC microbiologist whose specialty is TB and other bacteria."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/...osis_infection

What are the odds that he picked up this very rare strain of TB randomly and totally unrelated to the father?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: father infects daughters husband with deadly TB virus

Guess he shoulda asked for daddy's permission before proposing.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:53 PM

Well, the daughter's husband is a lawyer so what do you think????????
Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 PM

Father-in-law claims it's not from him, per the article.

Hijack: This guy is a serious [censored] ass for sneaking back into the US to get health care, even if he did it because he was scared for his life. He put the lives of anyone who came into contact with him in jeopardy.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:07 PM

everything I read said the father had nothing to do with it. seems like to big of a coincidence though. I thought everyone got TB shots when tehy were kids? can someone explain this a little more in depth?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hijack: This guy is a serious [censored] ass for sneaking back into the US to get health care, even if he did it because he was scared for his life. He put the lives of anyone who came into contact with him in jeopardy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but I can't get too mad about something that I'd strongly consider doing in the same spot. I don't know much about this case, though, so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everything I read said the father had nothing to do with it. seems like to big of a coincidence though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does seem like a big coincidence, but I don't believe that people researching drug resistant TB would be inclined to contribute to that getting into the wild.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but I can't get too mad about something that I'd strongly consider doing in the same spot. I don't know much about this case, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't like he didn't know he had TB before he left for Europe, and the doctors here advised him not to go to europe
Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I agree with the guy's actions, but step down of that high horse, pardner. Don't even pretend that if you are in genuine fear for your life, you're going to be putting the health of strangers before saving your own skin.

SpaceAce
Old 05-31-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't like he didn't know he had TB before he left for Europe, and the doctors here advised him not to go to europe

[/ QUOTE ]

I think TB is kind of a weird thing. My sister had a positive TB skin test and had to take drugs for 9 months. I don't remember no flying being a stipulation during that time. She was totally asymptomatic, and may have just been a carrier. Still, I tend to agree that going against the orders and flying to Europe anyway is a bigger dick move than the coming back.