Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Checking behind with strong Aces

I have encountered this scenario a few times in the past few days and am curious how often people do this.

The situation generally comes up after repopping a limper and having him come along or after raising and having a blind come along, although I guess there are other ways it can happen. But essentially how often do you guys check behind a made Ace with hands such as AJ-AK behind limp/callers on uncoordinated boards. Such as:

You hold A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Open limp in MP1, you 4x it and he calls

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to you. On boards like this can we sucker lower Aces and mid pairs into betting enough on the turn to make checking some of the time here profitable, considering the times we will allow villian to hit his/her 3-5 outs?

~J
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Checking behind with strong Aces

I think its okay to occasionally check here. It's a nice alternative to betting the flop then checking behind on the turn if he calls (acting like we whiffed the flop) and then firing 2/3rds pot on the river. In that case I get looked up light by weaker aces/pairs. Of course we risk the chance that the turn gives him a backdoor flush/straight draw that he won't fold on 4th street or a turned set but I think its okay to risk that for the value we get out of villain not believing us because we checked the flop.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 PM

i'd say ~40% of the time

and they have 2 outs waaaaaaaaay more often than "3-5"
Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 PM

I think bet/check/bet is a better line because it actually secures the fact that they will have an ace and makes it a lot easier to play if they bet/bet into you on turn and river.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have encountered this scenario a few times in the past few days and am curious how often people do this.

The situation generally comes up after repopping a limper and having him come along or after raising and having a blind come along, although I guess there are other ways it can happen. But essentially how often do you guys check behind a made Ace with hands such as AJ-AK behind limp/callers on uncoordinated boards. Such as:

You hold A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Open limp in MP1, you 4x it and he calls

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to you. On boards like this can we sucker lower Aces and mid pairs into betting enough on the turn to make checking some of the time here profitable, considering the times we will allow villian to hit his/her 3-5 outs?

~J

[/ QUOTE ]

Jurollo,

In general in these spots I won't check behind very often with my stronger aces, since I am looking to stack worse hands, and I will prob get only 1 bet from a pp at most anyways. When you have a hand like AK and you are up against a smaller ace here, clearly you want to bet earlier to try to stack worse hands. When you have a hand like A7 or something here however, playing it slow makes more sense because you can't really bet 3 barrels and try to stack many worse aces... whereas you can turn your hand into a bluff catcher by checking behind and inducing a turn/river bet.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 PM

Yeah Ansky is right IMO. The weaker the ace the more likely you should check.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:32 PM

this is pretty dependent on the tourney/limper too obv

in the sunday mill, i'm checking behind here 1% of the time

in the 109r, that number is higher
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is pretty dependent on the tourney/limper too obv

in the sunday mill, i'm checking behind here 1% of the time

in the 109r, that number is higher

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think it depends on how likely you think the opponent is to:

1. Go broke or lose a lot of chips with a worse hand

2. Try to make a move with a weak hand if you check behind the flop, but would simply fold if you bet. Honestly the majority of the time that a good player checks behind this situation, they have some kind of bluff catcher, so I think most experienced players aren't going to go crazy if you check the flop. They will probably put you on something like KK/QQ and not try to get you to fold.

But ok problem is that a weak player is more likely to pay you off when you bet, but is also more likely to make some mindless bluff if you check. However I think the reward for getting paid off on a potential 3 streets is more than maybe getting them to bluff, while also giving them free cards to beat you.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM

bet/check/bet

is my preferred line with strong aces on a dry A-high flop.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet/bet/bet

is my preferred line with strong aces on a dry A-high flop.

[/ QUOTE ]