Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 02:57 PM

Default My path to becoming a better player

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here, and I want to call this "MY OWN THREAD", but everybody is welcome to write here. I read Sbrugbys story here on 2+2 and I was inspired. Before I had read it I had decided to read all books available out there and study my game throughout the whole summer to become a better poker player.

If this is posted in the wrong place please tell me, because I really don't want to make anybody mad. And if your going to maybe call me a fish or anything like that, please back it up with motivation.

Now here is my playing style:
Now here is my playing style:
I'm that kind of player that pisses everybody off. I have read many books so I am fammilliar to positioning and everything. But I have created my own theory, because of the fact that alot of people are reading books their following the rules there too much. That means that everybodys game is starting to look like eachother, that's why you have to become creative. So I really look at positioning, but I also break down people that try to play smart from position. I don't always raise pre-flop. That is maybe my biggest weakness, but I am person that loves to analyze. And not just in poker, in everything. That is my biggest advantage in poker, all my life I have been a person that thinks alot and my thoughts go quick. I was that boy in class that was the biggest goof, but when it came to mathematics, I was always the best in class. But I never followed the instructions given to us about how you solve problems, I always came up with my own. I made things easier for myself and my math teachers where always stunned when they saw my calculations.
So to the part where I pissed people of: I always look at how all the player at a table play. Even when I'm not playing I always pay attention to when they bet, how much they bet. And at showdowns I always register the hands in my hand and when I fall into a simillar position, where they play simillarly to the hand I followd, I remember the showdown and that is really what makes me call or fold. On the flop I think that it is about a 34% chance that anybody hits the flopp which means that 66% of the time you can steal what people have put in. So that is me. I am the guy raising after the flop all the time making people fold. Now note that there always are people that try to out play me by re-raising me. But as I said, I analyze everything and they can get shocked when I call them and then raise big making them fold. Poker is so much psychology, and that interest me alot. Now better players can learn my game quickly and they can trap me, but fortunatly I always remember peoples raise which can make me fold great hands, that maybe is my biggest positive side. My instincts are always right, but I don't always follow them either.... The positive in this game is that after a while playing like this people will understand that you don't always have something so when they finally hit middle-pair they never notice the flush draw och straight draw. And when they have gone all in, and I call them. They see that their middle pair is no good against my straight, flush or full house. The big negative side is the same, I can get called down. But as I talked about creativity, when I start to see that my game is no good anymore I start changing my game making it tight, then changing back, than 10 minutes later getting tight which confuses the other guy.

But despite this very positive attribute that I have, and the fact that I ALWAYS go plus in the beggining. I have a very bad negative side and it will probably take me a long time before I mature of this. I am only 18 years old so it maybe has something to do with that.

If I tilt, then I tilt bad. I know that I am tilting but I'm always think: "Your tilting idiot, just leave". But at the same moment there comes up another guy that says: "Well just win back the 40 bucks you lost and then leave". Then when I win it back, the same side says, well 40, might as well be 100. Play on. And at the end I loose the money.

The reason why I choose to write everything about me is because in everything, every subject, there is always people that are better than you. If you're going plus in poker then you are a much better poker player than me. It doesn't matter how my analyzes are or how I can read people. Because at the end poker is about who is making the most money. And I'm not making any. But my game is becoming better for everytime I play and two days ago I played a game on a Swedish poker site where I made about 43 dollars to 173 dollars, but then lost everything two hours later because that I first got bad beated for about 70 dollar, and instead of quiting the game and returning tomorow I lost everything else.¨

I really want to improve as a player and I want to become a very good poker player.

I have been playing since January this year and I have some winnings here and there, but at the end I manage to loose them. Note that I was the biggest fish in money management before. I was one of them suckers that went in rooms short stacked and got upset that a guy with 500 bucks called my 40 dollars all in with 5-5 and got his tripplets and my A-A was no good no more. He can afford to bad beat me, If I had 450 bucks, he would never have called me.

Anyway, now I know much better than that.

But I still have questions to ask, and I accepts anybodys answer because you can always learn alot from other people.

Q1: How much should I start with? (Bankroll)
Q2. Having read my story shortly, what do you think?

If you guys want to know anything more just ask me, like what my positive sides are, what my negetives are and so on.

And yea.. I like to listen to Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin when I'm playing poker. Calm and positive music. Not like music today where they talk about their money, their gomares and murdering people.

I will look in my game history looking after my biggest losses and write them here to see where i went right / wrong and for feedback.

So for now cheers, and I wish everybody in this forum the best of luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Watch out Sbrugby, pastafazool is comming!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: My path to becoming a better player

oh no...
Old 05-28-2007, 03:05 PM

What are your positive sides and what are your negative sides
Old 05-28-2007, 03:05 PM

I didn't read this. Someone tell me what forum I should move it to?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:11 PM

You might want to start with this thead on becoming better.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Oh no! He got his triplets!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:16 PM

adanthar- beginner forum
Old 05-28-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read this. Someone tell me what forum I should move it to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forum francophone
Old 05-28-2007, 03:20 PM

what
Old 05-28-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to start with this thead on becoming better.

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, i clicked on the link, and as soon as I clicked it i knew i was gonna get Rickrolled - but as it was saying loading, I couldn't bring myself to close the window down, I just had to be sure.

NH sir