Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 01:40 PM

Default SH l08

Just came to table guys seem ok but not great. Pf 3bet I feel is mandatory flop raise has it's merit and turn raise I was unsure off because if the capper has AA2x or something and calls the flop he's not folding the turn. River I think this should of been a c/c but I was hoping maybe he would raise with an A2 with a weaker high sometimes and get some 2pair to poss fold from SB.

Overthinking or well played??

PokerStars 30/60 Omaha/8 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (15 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB
Old 05-31-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: SH l08

Preflop seems fine. I like the flop raise too, maybe you can get Button to fold a backdoor low, and even if someone has AAxx you shouldn't be too far behind equitywise with your redraws to two pair.
Turn raise and river bet seem sort of wasted, but neither seems terribly -EV.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM

Agreed!
I like the 3 bet on the flop.
But I would have check/called the whole way down.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 PM

I like his play the entire way (wasn't so sure about the turn raise at first, but it has its merits for several reasons...ie, if he can fold off a gutshot type hand from the button, or a weak flush draw).

I also feel he'd be missing out on some good value if he just checked along at the river. And, even if he were to get 1/4'd, he'd only be losing a very small amount on the last bet. Besides, if there's any chance at all that he can fold off a better high hand, or, perhaps get 3/4's, then a bet has so much more to gain compared to the amount that he loses on the times when he gets 1/4'd. And, considering that the flop contained 2 high cards, I'm not as convinced that I'd even be splitting the low.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 PM

I find it interesting that you guys all think the preflop 3-bet is mandatory.

I think it's alright but very close in EV to just calling. Your hand is probably not a big money favorite 3-way, and there are tactical advantages to just calling.

OTOH you are probably some kind of favorite, and 3-betting preflop will tend to give you credit for more high strength than you have, so it has advantages as well.