Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Another \"What should my range be\" question

THAY3R v Phil Laak.

When Phil is BB I am in CO and I have been taking his blinds alot.

Phil has about 40k, I have over 100k.

500 1000 200 antes. I open for 2700, Phil makes it 8000 out of the BB. I really don't read him to be very strong, plus with my position I feel I am in a good spot to shove his c-bet and take the pot, so I call.

Flop is
Ax5s7s

Phil bets out 9500, I toss out 40k.

Questions :

Would making this play without an Ace or better or a Flush draw be pure spew? Would 86 be okay, but 98 very bad? Is calling a 3 bet preflop with the intention of shoving a c-bet flop a bad idea here? If not, what are good situations to do so, and please include examples.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Another \"What should my range be\" question

I do this, uh... a lot more than I should, probably, so don't ask me

But yeah I try to have at least a few outs
Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 AM

only issue is that he has around half his stack in the middle right now (assuming he started the hand with 40k). To be honest though i think you need to decide that any type of flop that you feel he has to give you credit for a big hand you need to push and an A high flop is pretty much just what you want. Now it's even better if you flop a nice draw in the chance that your called, but i don't think its spewing.

Another kind of issue i do have with the hand however is that phil laak from what ive seen is a pretty tight player, had he been mixing it up alot? Obviously he's noticed you picking on his blinds, but if he's given you leway till now then would it be safe to assume he's been waiting for a big hand?

In the end i think you need to go with your read on him, put him to a tough decision. This is one of those moves that border the line between genius and stupidity. I like the play and if you have a read on the player to go with it then i think its a very good one, and phil laak is good enough to get away from tp/gk assuming he even has that much.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
only issue is that he has around half his stack in the middle right now (assuming he started the hand with 40k).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I probably messed up the stacks, he had around 30k left after his c-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
A high flop is pretty much just what you want. Now it's even better if you flop a nice draw in the chance that your called, but i don't think its spewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Ace on flop is such a good spot for bluffing since you basically need an ace to call me.

Also, on this flop, and knowing my aggression, if he has a good hand(especially set or Ace of spades), I think he would definitely be checking this flop, so I think that points towards shoving as well.

[ QUOTE ]

Another kind of issue i do have with the hand however is that phil laak from what ive seen is a pretty tight player, had he been mixing it up alot? Obviously he's noticed you picking on his blinds, but if he's given you leway till now then would it be safe to assume he's been waiting for a big hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's tight, but in a he will resteal kind of way.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 AM

Do 20 pushups than go allin with any 2.

Other option is reverse tell of putting in 40k with any 2 cards and then calling floor because you thought it was only 10k and the chips looked the same to you and you meant to call and get into heated debate about it for maybe 15 minutes begging to take it back and then show bluff when he folds.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:07 AM

I like this post.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:14 AM

I'd try to have at least 4 outs against an ace.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Other option is reverse tell of putting in 40k with any 2 cards and then calling floor because you thought it was only 10k and the chips looked the same to you and you meant to call and get into heated debate about it for maybe 15 minutes begging to take it back and then show bluff when he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol curtains rules
Old 05-31-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol curtains rules

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I go from being told to shut up and go away to ruling in a mere week. Should I expect a wedding ring next week?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol curtains rules

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I go from being told to shut up and go away to ruling in a mere week. Should I expect a wedding ring next week?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you play your cards right

and i just thought you were being obnoxious that thread, but that doesnt make you a bad person. and i was probably being a bit defensive. sorry.