Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Hypothetical: Life in Prison

The other day I was working and was asked about a child custody issue. The mother wouldn't let the father have the daughter, but the mother gave the daughter to a guy who just got out of state prison for slicing a guy's throat.

Assuming that capacity is not an issue, what do you think would be the implications of everyone who committed a violent crime would be sentenced to life in prison? The only way out is to get paroled. That is the key thing. Parole allows you to leave prison earlier than your sentenced time.

Now, not all crimes would get life sentences, like DUI. There would also be other stipulations on what crimes would not be possible for life sentences.

The point is, is that prison is a rehabilitative institution. For someone who slices a guy's throat, can they really be rehabilitated if they serve out their term? What if they go and do it again?

The only way out is to act like normal human beings and then go to a parole board and get paroled after evaluation. All inmates would know that they are locked up for life so they wouldn't be able to serve 5 or 10 years knowing they will get out anyways.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical: Life in Prison

[ QUOTE ]
The point is, is that prison is a rehabilitative institution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm no.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:31 PM

please reformulate in english.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:32 PM

We'd probably get lots more AMERICAS MOST AWESOME POLICE CHASES on cable so I'm all for it.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We'd probably get lots more AMERICAS MOST AWESOME POLICE CHASES on cable so I'm all for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Prison is a place where animals who can't live peacefully in society are put when they are caught misbehaving. It's simply to keep society out of harm's way until the individual gets out. It's not going to rehabilitate any significant portion of the population. Once he gets out, reoffending is almost a foregone conclusion.

Death penalty ftw.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prison is a place where animals who can't live peacefully in society are put when they are caught misbehaving. It's simply to keep society out of harm's way until the individual gets out. It's not going to rehabilitate any significant portion of the population. Once he gets out, reoffending is almost a foregone conclusion.

Death penalty ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what did people do with criminals before prison? did everyone who got in a bar fight get lined up against a wall and shot?

this post is retarded

OP: in theory, the idea of making sentences more flexible and placing more emphasis on demonstrable rehabilitation is interesting. however, since our prisons do such a poor job of rehabilitating people, i think we would need to look harder at them before we ever considered instituting such a policy.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so what did people do with criminals before prison? did everyone who got in a bar fight get lined up against a wall and shot?

this post is retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure it's retarded? He mentions a guy slicing someone's throat. Who do you think I'm talking about? Someone who instigates a drunken bar fight?

[ QUOTE ]
Prison is a place where animals who can't live peacefully in society are put when they are caught misbehaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fact. How is this retarded?

[ QUOTE ]
It's simply to keep society out of harm's way until the individual gets out. It's not going to rehabilitate any significant portion of the population.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Once he gets out, reoffending is almost a foregone conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
however, since our prisons do such a poor job of rehabilitating people

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool - you agreed with me after calling my post retarded. Good job.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once he gets out, reoffending is almost a foregone conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my point.

NT!, I'm not saying every offense is a life sentence, but the more violent crimes would be.

I guess I thought it was an interesting topic on my own.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Warik,

The OP stated that, in his hypothetical, anyone who committed a violent crime would go to prison, and their only way out would be to be rehabilitated and paroled. Not just people who stab others, or people who rape and mutilate people. Getting in a bar fight is a violent crime. Death penalty FTW, as you say? I hope not.

The fact that prisons do a poor job of rehabilitating people does not support your post. You stated that the people in prison are "animals" and prisons are only there to keep them away from society for a set amount of time. Well, that's not how our prisons are legally established and it's not the basis of our criminal system. Moreover, recidivism among corrections inmates is not a guaranteed phenomenon as you stated, and one could only make such an incorrect statement out of total ignorance. So, I called your post retarded, rather than go through a long explanation, because anyone who is going to type out such a steaming pile of inaccurate generalizations and cowboy-up tough-on-crime crap such as you have is probably not going to listen to actual facts about the basis of our (flawed) justice system or the behaviors of people who end up in prison.

All of the things which you quoted as 'facts' are not facts, but beliefs that you have probably formed by watching COPS, eating Doritos and being an ignoramus. Good luck with that.