Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Can God know that he is infinite?

So I'm dancing in a thunderstorm and get struck by lightning and die...so now I'm chillin up in heaven and my boy, the G O D, is about to introduce himself.

He tells me that he is God...He claims to be outside of the universe and he is omnipotent and omniscient and infinite...he has existed for all time, uncaused and will exist for all time.

Can he even know himself whether or not the things he said are true?

EDIT: this is obviously about NotReady's talk about limits to human knowledge...aren't there limits to every being's knowledge?

Isn't it possible that there is actually a "higher" God who has limited the "smaller" god's knowledge..yet he still thinks that he is THE GOD?..and so on?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Can God know that he is infinite?

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't it possible that there is actually a "higher" God who has limited the "smaller" god's knowledge..yet he still thinks that he is THE GOD?..and so on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely could be the case. I don't really see where you're going with this though.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely could be the case. I don't really see where you're going with this though.

[/ QUOTE ]

as usual, I just ramble without knowing where I am going...
Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it makes the point that we can never know what the ultimate is. So when people try and make the case that their god is the ultimate, they can't know there's not something higher. Just as they claim their god is beyond my knowledge, a god higher than theirs, could exist beyond their knowledge. As long as we're both talking about unfalsifiable things, how can they logically have a problem with that? Yet, I'm sure they do.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it makes the point that we can never know what the ultimate is. So when people try and make the case that their god is the ultimate, they can't know there's not something higher. Just as they claim their god is beyond my knowledge, a god higher than theirs, could exist beyond their knowledge. As long as we're both talking about unfalsifiable things, how can they logically have a problem with that? Yet, I'm sure they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's what I was saying [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2007, 07:28 PM

I'd be interested to hear some theists chime in on this point if anybody is out there.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM

If the theistic God exists then yes he can know all these things because he has complete knowledge (assuming there isnt some logical contradiction in knowing he is God). I guess it is possible that there is some "puppet God" with some higher puppeteering God (or whatever) but if that's the case, the theist is wrong in their beliefs about God.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the theistic God exists then yes he can know all these things because he has complete knowledge (assuming there isnt some logical contradiction in knowing he is God). I guess it is possible that there is some "puppet God" with some higher puppeteering God (or whatever) but if that's the case, the theist is wrong in their beliefs about God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Do most theists claim that God has complete knowledge about everything or just complete knowledge about our universe?

It seems pretty irrelevant to our existence so I don't see why they would have that strong of an opinion one way or the other.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested to hear some theists chime in on this point if anybody is out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I do sincerely try to put myself in the mindset of a theist, it is difficult.

Atheist - I have no reason to think your god exists.

Theist - Well, He does. You just don't know my God, because you haven't properly sought Him out.

Atheist - Could there be a god higher than yours, which perhaps you haven't sought out?

Theist - No. There is no chance of that.

Atheist - *scratches head with perplexed look*

Theist - *Arms folded with smug smile*

End debate.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When theologians say ultimate that's what they mean.