Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Default 200 QQ spot

villain is 19 / 9 / pretty passive postflop

i am 26 / 20 / 6 and people keep folding at me... this is std.... right ?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $179.85
BB: $222.40
<font color="black">Hero (UTG): $308.69</font>
BTN: $267.50

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $8.00</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $7.00, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($18) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $12.00</font>, Hero calls $12.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($42) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $25.00</font>, Hero calls $25.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($92) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $75.00</font>, Hero folds

Pot Size: $167.00
Old 05-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: 200 QQ spot

Why aren't you raising the flop or turn?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:52 PM

you're hand is very under represented in this pot.

you need to put a raise in somewhere, and I think the flop is the place to do it because the board is so draw heavy.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 PM

he will only call with hands that beat me if i raise on the flop or turn IMO

i do not want to play a big pot against this passive tag with this board
Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 PM

I'm learning as well and don't claim to be the greatest in the world but based on this flop I would raise the flop when he bet and see what happened. If he reraises or calls you can begin to narrow down his hand range and probably realize your behind. The flop indicated either 2 pair, a made straight, or a raise trying to get a free card on the next round for the flush, or a set to me. You raised $8 before the flop so he has to give you credit for something. He led out betting on the flop so he either had a chance to make the nuts or already had a pocket pair beat in my opinion. Raise him on the flop and if you get reraised just fold. Don't just call all the way to the river. Show some aggression on the flop and if your beat you will find out and can safely fold and save some money. I personally am very skeptical with just a pair on a flush draw possibly made straight board.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:37 PM

By the way you said you didn't want to play a big pot with this passive player. Well you ended up doing that by not raising on the flop. That would have kept it small enough to where you could have gotten enough information based on his actions when you should have raised, to decide whether or not to proceed with the hand. At that point if you get reraised you can save yourself the extra money you would have possibly ended up calling or betting on future rounds. QQ was not overly strong on that flop. It was very good starting, but on a 3 card to a straight, with a flush draw, I feel as though you are just barely leading in this hand. Don't just call with QQ on the flop. Raise to find out where you are at so that it stays small enough to where you don't just call off money on future rounds. That will keep the pot small enough
Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he will only call with hands that beat me if i raise on the flop or turn IMO

i do not want to play a big pot against this passive tag with this board

[/ QUOTE ]

if you raise flop he's not gonna fold a lot of draws that are in his range.

your desire to not want to play a big pot left you in a calling down mode where you failed to define your hand. Even passive players might over value their hand in these spots and think their betting w/the best of it.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 PM

He could be thinking you missed since the flop is so small. You should raise on the flop to define your hand and then probably fold to aggression.

It's not that bad if he folds all worse hands since you win the pot.

As played fold the river. He probably has a full house and is hoping you made the flush.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 PM

I just think that this hand should have never made it to the river. As stated by other posters including me, raise the flop and take it down or fold to aggression on the flop. Don't just call on the turn and river. By then you've created a large pot which you should have already won or folded. He most likely has you beat or has a good draw, which by the river already has beat your queens. QQ is very vunerable hand at all spots at this hand
Old 05-20-2007, 09:25 PM

I really like the call flop call turn fold river line.

I think he defined his hand well enough for you. The flush gets there on the river and he still thinks his hand is good. It's not like he's value betting $75 with 88 or 99, he has you beat (or has a rare bluff).

I really don't think this is a good flop to be "raising for information" - you end up putting in just as much money as calling twice and you allow him to shove with bottom two or a draw which you have awesome equity against if you just call twice.