Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 07:41 AM

Default pf play against utg raise + 1 or 2 cold callers

YOu see this situation often in the lower limits.

How is your preflop strategy in this situation.

my reraising standards against a utg raiser is (no other callers)

AQ
Ats
KQs

Should it be different with 1 or 2 cold callers ?

eg 99 is loosing value with more players ?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: pf play against utg raise + 1 or 2 cold callers

My prefloprange depends on who is in utg and my own position. Sometimes I can fold AJ for sure while I will reraise AQ. But against an average or below average player I will reraise down to AT, maybe down to even 77 if the players behind me are tight. If the preflopraiser is very passive postflop I can isoraise a lot of hands.
KJ is also not bad against a loose player when we have position, just be aware that we may be dominated- that's why we can play more hands against a passive player cause we can assume that we are behind if he raises.

Concerning 99 we like to play this hand against as few as possible in SH. If a raise can knock one of the limpers out I will raise. If I can buy the button I'll raise. If it will setup a bluff on another round of betting I will raise. I think a raise is mandatory when we have position, but be ready to throw it away on later streets.
Raising with 99 will also give u the advantage that people cannot put u on AA-JJ if u only raise with these hands and you will put your opposition in a constant guessing situation and maybe even fear betting into you.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM

I agree but it does not answer my question. It seems like you are answering what to do with no cold callers.

I need to know what do when 1 or 2 cold callers are in the game before me.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 AM

I think I did answer: Raise with coldcallers too. Your raise gives a lot of advantages:
- may buy the button
- make you less easy to read
- you will see if somebody caps and then you will probably
have to catch a 9 for having the best hand(overpair is probably outthere)
- If nobody has an overcards you are about even money. F.ex. if u are against AK, and QJ you are about a 33% dog. It is worser if you are against an overpair of course. If you are against 3 players with AQ, KJ, Q10 you have about 27% equity so your raise makes you money. So a raise is not bad at all.

So generally speaking it is fold or raise. if you feel nobody has a higher pair then go ahead and raise. If you are not comfortable with this play you must begin to calculate pottods if you are gonna call.
I will never call this though_ It is raise or fold and far mostly a raise.