Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Starting Hands

Is there a hands chart for stud?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Starting Hands

No. Third-street strategy is far too complex to be boiled down into a simple chart.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:01 AM

In general, for low limit games with lots of loose players, you are looking for trips, a premium pair (T-A) with a good kicker, sometimes a low pair with a good kicker, three to a flush, and three to a high straight, the higher the cards the better.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:02 AM

http://www.pokertop10.com/seven-card-stud.html

http://www.studstrategy.com/7cardstudstrategyhi.htm
Old 02-19-2006, 12:01 PM

The first link is ridiculously simplistic. Playable hands do generally fall into four categories--roll-ups, pairs, three-flushes, and three-straights--all of which are covered. But not all pairs are always playable, nor are the drawing hands. Unless you're rolled-up, you have to take into account how live your cards are and what you're likely up against. You get none of that from this chart.

Someone mentions the other site once in a while. I haven't read all of it, but a lot of what I've read is substandard.

[ QUOTE ]
Once you are established, players will most likely not call your bets beyond sixth street without a competitive hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one folds on sixth street.

When someone's discussion of possible playable hands starts with (Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I find it suspect.

BTW, I have tried to copy and paste from that site before without success, but I can do it in Firefox. Now don't go and copy and paste the whole thing in here, but that should prove useful if there's something specific there that someone wants to discuss.

Anyway, that starting hand discussion is really too simplistic to be of any use. I just don't think that there's any substitute for getting 7CS4AP and reading the section on starting hands a couple of times.