Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Is the FPS -EV in any occasion?

I've heard a lot that the "Fancy Play Syndrome" should be avoided at all cost, often leading to a misplay.

However, I've been trying something new and was wondering if I'm just losing 1/2 BB PF with this, or earning some more BB in latter round, as in this hand:

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero calls

This is where I'm wondering if that play makes sense. I am just flat calling. Why? If any of them has AA or AK-AQ or sometimes any A it won't really matter, they'd never fold the extra bet. But if my opponent has TT thru QQ and the flop comes all low, not capping preflop will induce a "hey no way he has AA or KK" in the other guy's head, and lead to more raising and reraising which is good. And if he really had aces himself, well I would just have saved 1/2 BB. Same goes for AK, since he'd call the cap any day.

Here's the rest of the hand. I think pretty much all of you guys would do the same, right? I mean, even with the 4-heart on the river...so be it if he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] right?

Flop: (10.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Regarding this particular hand, I wonder if he would have slew down on the flop had I capped, but I doubt it so my FPS here may have just cost me 50cts, but don't you think my reasoning is sound, or should I forget it?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Is the FPS -EV in any occasion?

It isn't universally bad but should almost always be saved for situations where you're heads-up against a decent aggressive player. So in other words I wouldn't do it here, take out the other caller and it's ok.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:10 AM

how often does an ace flop? well that amount of time is the only time it costs u 2 small bets preflop. the rest of the time, about 83% of # of trials smooth calling can and probably will get you at least 1-2 bbs on 4th and 5th streets. be that asit may, thishand plays alot better against 1 opponent.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 AM

FPS is when you use and especially misuse a certain type of play over and over. Even more so if you use it against players that aren't aware that they are being fooled.

Your play in this situation is a candidate, so if you use it every single time you have KK or QQ and are reraised, the opponents who do notice what you do wont be fooled and those that don't well they will pay you off no matter what anyway.

Not capping is ok if it is mixed up with capping in this situation. My guees would be around 25% not capping to 75% percent capping, but only if the people you are playing against actually are aware of what you are doing, if not cap it every time.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:02 AM

its fine
Old 05-18-2007, 01:15 PM

I really prefer this in HU spots, specifically vs aggressive somewhat thinking players, and especially in blind steal situations. In that spot I just call raises from the BB w/ a big hand or just call a 3 bet as the stealer, hoping to get lots of action.

With more players in the hand I want my hand to be more defined. Yes, you're capping monsters PF for value another advantage is that if the hand gets cracked it is easier to see and costs less by playing it straightforward.

Postflop you played this hand perfectly.