Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 PM

Default why the hell do i keep getting thirds

ok today i got back into sngs a little I played 10 $16 turbos on stars and i got 5 3rds!!! this is incredibly frustrating that i made 50% in the money and actually lost money i got 5 3rds and no higher finishes is this just some weird variance? Or more likely do I have a major leak in my game? and if so what do you think it is and how can i fix it. for some more information i always play really tight in the early stages and try to make it to the bubble and start hammering people. None of the times that i made the money did i have a big stack and i may be wrong but i think that in all the cases i was the short stack going into it. Do you think i am playing the bubble incorrectly or is it some other leak in my game? also i am somewhat unclear about proper strategy when your in the money with varius stack sizes and pushing ranges (ie earlier i was on the button with 2300 and we were ITM and i had JT off is this an easy push with normal blinds that are reasonably tight?) I would really appreciate any help you could give me because this is really affecting my stats and my confidence.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: why the hell do i keep getting thirds

that JT example was when blinds were 100/200 no ante
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM

Just 10 SNGs is such a low sample size, that you really couldn't make any inference at all.

I had a terrible streak the other day where I kept getting 3rd in 6-handed tournaments, which means I bubbled. Lost a ton of my BR (relatively), but I'm pretty sure it's just variance, since I had solid performance before and after.

Probably the best advice is just to post tough hands you're playing when it's 3-handed that could be the leak you think you might have.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 PM

just play more
Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 PM

Because you touch yourself at night.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 PM

I seen alot of books and videos that say the same thing...
When you get in the money and your short stack dont try to squeeze for 2nd you wanna play very agressive when you get in the money 3rd dont be sacred to finish 3rd the first and second place player can drop down a spot you cant you just aim for first by being agressive and it pays off alot more when you do sng. I am very tigh in the early and middle stages of the tournement unless i get a big chip lead then i get agressive when we get down 5 handed. But when you get get in the money you have to aim for first if you want to maximize your profits in sng's.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 PM

dude, it's 10 tourneys. this is funny sorry, but that's nowhere near being a significant sample. you can't tell anything from 10 tourneys, there are people that play more games than that in a set. read the faq. locked.

edit - for the JT hand, again, read the faq about ICM.
Closed Thread