Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Next time you say 24 is unrealistic

Consider the news today (which as far as I can tell, was not noted in OOT yet):

James Comey, who was the Acting Attorney General in 2004, when John Ashcroft was hospitalized with pancreatitis, testified yesterday how he literally raced to the hospital with emergency lights on, and ran to the hospital room, to stop Andrew Card and Alberto Gonzalez from getting Ashcroft to authorize illegal domestic wiretapping. Beforehand, Comey spoke to the FBI director to make sure that the agents in the hospital room would not kick him out, if asked to do so by Card and Gonzalez. When everyone finally arrived, Ashcroft managed to resist efforts to authorize the program, noting that Comey was the one with the actual authority at that time anyway.

Later, Comey agreed to speak to Bush, but insisted that he have a witness present, namely, the Solicitor General. Numerouss people were prepared to resign, before some change to the program were made.

If the same thing was depicted in 24, I probably would be one of the people saying "that's ridiculous. They would never stoop to taking advantage of a sick guy like that to subvert civil liberties."

I really can't do justice to the story, so I'll link a few articles:

Chicago Tribune story

NYT story
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Next time you say 24 is unrealistic

are you by any chance an overweight female black aclu attorney married to will smith?