Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 03:25 AM

Default that \"eerie\" feeling...i\'m new to full ring...25/50 PS v. ike

First week I've ever played full ring online, and first time on PS 25/50. Villian is philivey2694, aka ike on 2p2. I view him as a very very strong player capable of making some bluffs. Obviously he's never going to turn over a bluff here, but I'm pretty sure he thinks I think he is slightly overaggresive. Only history we have is the day before I stacked him on a hand where I raised his c-bet with a pair+fd, and he shoved with a gutter+unders that hit on the river, but only after I housed up.

I make a donkey raise with a speculative hand FR. H@ll, who gives me zero respect, calls and philivey calls from the blinds. Flop is an ugly one, paired with my flush draw. Ike chks, I c-bet, he chk calls. At this point my range for him is, similar flush draw, trips, house, or some kind of pocket pair. Turn brings my flush. He checks, and I decide to bet (what do people think of this???). He pauses for a bit then calls again. By the river we both have more than a full buy in left. He checks again. How much should I bet, or should I just check behind? My read is that on the turn I just got a weird feeling he was huge based on timting, but who knows.

Advice on all streets welcome, and yes, I made a very poor raise pf, but let's ignore that for the time being.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $25/$50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $11,146.00
BB: $1,000.00
<font color="black">Hero (UTG): $8,308.00</font>
CO: $4,992.50
BTN: $8,164.50

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $200.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $200.00, SB calls $175.00, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($650) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $525.00</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $525.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($1700) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1,315.00</font>, SB calls $1,315.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($4330) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero ?????
Old 05-14-2007, 03:29 AM

Default Re: that \"eerie\" feeling...i\'m new to full ring...25/50 PS v. ike

dave, this is an auto bet.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how much do u bet, and what do you do when he CRAI. And what is the point of betting this turn?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how much do u bet, and what do you do when he CRAI. And what is the point of betting this turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

you bet the turn because:
1. if he has a lower flush, he comes along
2. if he has trips, he comes along
3. if he has a pair, he may come along if he thinks you have nothing

you bet the river because
1. you still beat trips
2. you still beat lower flushes
3. you may get looked up by a pair that thinks you're fos

stacks are somewhat awkward in that you cant really fold to a c/rai.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 AM

on riv there is 6.3k eff. behind and a pot of 4330, i guess you technically could bet 3/call shove, bet 3/fold to shove (make a read either case) bet 1k/call shove or just push.

by the river your hand is either 66/77/33/flush/air, no? I say this bc if you're thinking about vb a flush, you're not valuebetting trips or overpair. im not sure he knows this, but..
Old 05-14-2007, 04:27 AM

5 handed isnt really full ring, unless the presence of the 4 empty seats changes everyone else's game somehow.

and I either valuebet this river for an amount that looks like a 3-barrel, or small enough that he might make a c/r move on me. I don't really expect a move too often though, as your small bet may look like its designed to induce exactly that. So go with regular valuebet. Hope he doesnt shove, because that would suck.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:03 AM

Bet 3000 to get value from trips/smaller flushes? I hate checking here you are missing so much value. I prolly call push too only because of the possiblity he is pushing with smaller flush.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 AM

i think not betting this river would be criminal and would absolutely destroy any chance you have of ever successfully three barreling in the game.

if he shoves and you lose that sucks, cold deck, but you just can't give away that much value.

also i don't know if you have a history of 3 barreling, but unless his notes on you are super hyper aggro/never gives up pot, i think its a tough spot to try a river CR as the river is an effective blank.

the best time for a river CR is when you think the river card will induce a bet from the villian, in this case you have the lead on the flop and turn, and the river changes nothing so alot of players will check behind.

if the river completed something that in villians mind you can use to represent then its a good time to CR the river.

edit: what i meant to say is that when the draw is completed on the turn and it goes bet/call usually ppl won't fire a 3rd barrel on a blank river as generally people make up their mind on the turn when the draw hits if they think the bettor is FOS so firing again doesn't show a whole lot of profit.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:27 AM

Old 05-14-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if man, not when. like others have said, how can you not bet here?