Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Did I lose to a donk calling station or ...? RAZZ Tourny

Tournament - Razz (250/500), Ante 40, Bring-In 75 (converter)

Seat 2: 888
Seat 3: 1,061
Seat 4: 3,923
Hero: 1,768
Seat 6: 7,952
Seat 7: 6,044
Seat 8: 7,475

3rd Street - (1.12 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (4.42 SB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (4.21 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.21 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets 478 (all-in)
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (8.12 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___all-in
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx

Total pot: (8.12 BB - 4,061)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot 4,061 | Rake 0

Note: this site shuffles the hole cards.

Seat 6: [5d 2h 8s 4s 8d 8h 3s] - 8,5,4,3,2

</font>

This ended my tourny life...I cant believe he would keep calling with 3 8s showing for the world to see, I was expecting a fold but wasnt upset when he kept calling...at the end I expected to receive the pot but instead I was out.

If YOU were the villian would have you kept calling or folded after the second 8 hit? After the third 8? This pot really pissed me off
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Did I lose to a donk calling station or ...? RAZZ Tourny

Villain was getting great pot odds at this point. He had reason to believe his 8 draw was good if he hit it.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 PM

Villian had 4 cards to a low on 4th street in a big pot (his raise on 4th tells you that), and had every reason to believe he was drawing live to a smooth 8. He played his hand fine. Given his hole cards, I'm not sure why you think the open paired or triple 8's would change anything. It sucks that you lost, but this isn't even really a bad beat.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:43 PM

I'm not really sure where to start with this post. So I guess I lead off with "Don't call others donks unless you play real good".

First of all, you're in a tournament with less than 4 BB in your stack... one hand played to showdown can knock you out. So you decide you want to play this one last hand with a very weak starter: 876. How do I know you want this to be your last hand? Because you didn't raise with it when there was only one card below an 8 behind you. If you raise, you might take it down without a fight and help your stack a little, but as it was you gave seat 8 (or even the bring-in with good hole cards) great pot odds to try to chase you down. Once you decided to limp, and seat 6 called and seat 8 completed, do you think you're ahead? No, most likely they both have you beat at the moment so you really don't want to play your last hand behind BOTH opponents in a multiway pot.

If you weren't pot committed already, the lead bet on 4th st. did it for you. This is another mistake since you're most likely still behind seat 6, and if you're not you'd rather him bluff at you anyway. Do you really need to make seat 8 fold? Well if he smooth calls seat 6 then you can raise behind him. At least then you're pot committed but you add another SB to the pot that you can win. 5th and 6th street are easy bets for you, and easy calls for your opponent.

So my final count in mistakes is Hero: 3 , Villain: 0. Oh wait, make that Hero: 4 since your results in white say that the site shuffles hole cards when the HH clearly shows them in order.

Any more questions?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 AM

Limping is your worst option on third. Either raise or fold--probably raise.

I'm curious when you think the other guy should have folded. If you turn your hole cards up he has to call fifth and sixth.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 AM

You have to raise third with your stack size in a tournament. It doesn't matter if you play against a slightly better hand. You want to pick up the antes and you have pot odds to play for your stack.

I don't agree that open folding is better than limping here. However, given the action, it is probably best to fold to the raise rather than limp/call.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious when you think the other guy should have folded. If you turn your hole cards up he has to call fifth and sixth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the OP thought he was representing a smooth 8 made so that the villain was drawing very thin. If the villain is anything other than a donk, then the OP's limp/call on 3rd st. has announced a rough 8 at best.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the OP thought he was representing a smooth 8 made so that the villain was drawing very thin. If the villain is anything other than a donk, then the OP's limp/call on 3rd st. has announced a rough 8 at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one reason I sometimes limp/call with a smooth 8 in a cash game.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM

If I was the villian?

3rd street: The limp call repersents that you have a marginal hand.
4th street: I would figure my draw was better.
5th/6th street: Yeah the bricks were visible, but by the time the action was to me on 5th, it's over 5 to 1 with a little less than a big bet to commit on later streets. If you made a hand, I'm thinking it would have been 8-7-6-4-3, maybe 8-7-5-4-3. Any 7,6,3, or Ace would figure to get me the pot, and add to that an opportunity to bust a guy? It's a gamble, yeah, but the logic is sound.