Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Live 1/2 - trips with flush draw and 3-str8 on board

I'm playing 1/2 NL live where most players are average at best but the player on my immediate left is a very tight, smart player that plays big hands well. He is very tight postflop but has also pushed all in on a couple of huge draws where there were multiple players and some money in the pot but he'd be at least 50/50 to win it heads up. When other people asked him about this, he said it was the best way to get paid because people call with worse draws but they won't pay him off if the next scare card comes. I've played with him for a couple hours another time amd about an hour here. He respects my play and knows I don't get too involved with one pair or when I'm possibly drawing dead like a lot of players in this game do.

Max buy-in 200, starting stacks as follows:
CO -1: 110
ME: 510
Btn: ~800

10 handed
folds to C0 -1
CO -1: raises to 10
ME in CO: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] call 10
Btn: call 10
Both blinds fold

Pot $33

I called the OR because from what I can guess he raises this amount in this position with 22-88, A-2-A9 Q9-KJ. This is approximate but I do know he raises more with his better hands. He doesn't bet much after the flop and he's a calling station with middle pair, low PP, or even a weak draw after the flop. Being tight, I don't figure the button to call in this spot with any 2. I have seen him fold even to one limper, but I still obviously give him a wide range of hands here.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

CO -1: bets 5
ME: call 5
Btn: raises to 15
CO -1: call 10
ME: call 10

Pot $78

I'm going to fold to a lot of cards on the turn but could very well be ahead right now. I figure the button is raising to build a pot. I elect not to raise or reraise because I don't want to build someone else's pot.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

CO -1: checks
ME: check
Btn: bets 40
CO -1: calls 40
ME: raise to 150
Btn: All in
CO -1: calls 45 all in
ME: ??? (335 remaining - Pot is 1130)

I reraised thinking I'd probably fold to a shove, but with so much money in the pot I get to thinking... I won't overanalyze for you but at this point I have to wonder if by my sudden interest in the hand on the turn may have labelled me with a 9 and is trying to push me off with all sorts of draws. Thats the big question for me at this point because I've never seen him in a hand this big and wonder if he'd only push with the nuts or whether he tought it out and made a move.

So:

Play this differently up until this point?

Does my check-raise make him think I have trip 9's and make him more likely to be making a move with a hand I'm still ahead of?

Call or Fold?

Regardless of call or fold decision, what do you think he has?

Other comments?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Live 1/2 - trips with flush draw and 3-str8 on board

Well, I don't like playing A9o for a raise here, even with position. If you think you are ahead of his range (or better post flop), why not riase to 30 or so and try to isolate him? I'd just fold.

On the flop I think the $5 call is weak. But the bet is so small I suppose it almost like treating it like a check and seeing what button will do.

Button's raise to $15 is very alarming to me. It indicates either he has a monster and is not afraid of draws (JdTd?, 56??), or he has a made hand plus draws (T9, 89, 78, TT, 99, 88, 77, Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d), or is semi-bluffing with a big draw himself (AdKd, AdQd, pretty much any other diamond hands). The raise says he wants money in this pot, not people out of it, and would have me quaking in my boots. There is a lot of RIO in this spot, with a solid player showing strength with position on you, and even though its $10 I can't complain about a fold.

Your turn line pretty much turns your hand face up. "I've got trips or better, come and get me!" If he's got a straight or a flushdraw. this card is a disaster for him, and should shut him down, especially into a check-raise. I think he's either got a killer read on you, or he's got a legitimate monster. I'd put his range at 9T, 9dxd, 88, 77, 98. That makes you chopped liver or when ahead he's still got 12 or so outs.

I think a 9 or an A on the river win this pot for you, so I think you have almost 10% equity. The question is, how often are you actually ahead? The pot is laying you 3:1 and you have some equity, so I think you have to be ahead about 15% to make this call. Yes, you should call.

My problem is the c/r that puts you in this position. My criticisms of your hand all along would be about how passively you played it (never raised). But once he puts in the $40 on the turn I think you can rule out FD + overs type hands (like AdKd) and leaves JT, T9, 98, 88, 77, and 9dxd. Would a call be better to control the pot the times your behind? Also continues to disguise your hand? Then c/c the river? Hmmmmmm.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Live 1/2 - trips with flush draw and 3-str8 on board

It seems pretty obvious that you have a 9, and two players are not scared of you. Granted, CO-1 is moot, but I'm worried about the Btn. Does he think you will lay down trips? Does he want you to? Seems to me he wants a call. I can find a fold here, but I'm pretty darn tight and probably too scared of closet monsters.