Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 01:48 PM
 is offline

Default My E-mail to Full Tilt (or: a Western Union Deposit Caveat)

This, after going back and forth with them inquiring about the specifics of making a cash deposit through Western Union. I made the transfer, but FTP declined it and said they never received any money.

Hello--

I called Western Union and they said the money was being temporarily held because they needed a reason for the money transfer. I, under the impression that I was doing nothing illegal, responded with "Online gaming." They said they are not able to send for this reason since online gaming is illegal in some states. On top of this, they informed me that they will be suspending my Western Union transfer capabilities a minimum of one year.

They will be refunding me my money, which is obviously a good thing, but I am a little frustrated that no one at Full Tilt warned me about this before it happened. The directions from your company were very specific and did not include any mention of concealing the purpose of the money transfer.

Somewhat peeved and hoping I have now not been flagged as a potential terrorist funder,
Rob
Old 05-04-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: My E-mail to Full Tilt (or: a Western Union Deposit Caveat)

Obv FT doesn't have the authority to lift the suspension, but you make a very good point and hopefully they will offer you some sort of compensation.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:18 PM

please don't take this the wrong way rob, but wtf are you thinking telling them online gaming? that was obviously stupid and lacks common sense.

i've made a few deposits using WU and a few times they have called me to ask why i am sending WU to the phillipines. i simply say that im sending money 'person to person' and that is all that they need to know. they have no right to ask any furthur. but if you offer them that you are sending it for online gaming, then they can refuse to do the transaction. please don't tell me you thought this whole sending money to 'eduardo guiterrez' in 'some city' in the phillipines was done on the up and up? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

again sorry for being so harsh, but bro get with the times.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:48 PM
 is offline

To be perfectly honest, I did think about it, and decided it wasn't worth it to lie about my intentions if there was something shady about what I was doing. It was a personal choice.

I just found it somewhat misleading that FTP didn't mention the fact that this is somewhat of a gray area and should be handled in the following way. Or at least mention that I might get questioned and while we can't tell you what to say, that I should be advised that the mention of online gaming might freeze the transaction.

In the post-9/11 world, it felt worse to lie about my intentions than to be honest in this spot.

In any case, the next time I do something like this, my Aunt Lupe Hermoso will be very excited about her $3000 birthday present! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2007, 07:01 PM

exactly.

also to bodog's credit they specifically ask you not to mention online gambling. person to person transfer ftw.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please don't take this the wrong way rob, but wtf are you thinking telling them online gaming? that was obviously stupid and lacks common sense.

i've made a few deposits using WU and a few times they have called me to ask why i am sending WU to the phillipines. i simply say that im sending money 'person to person' and that is all that they need to know. they have no right to ask any furthur. but if you offer them that you are sending it for online gaming, then they can refuse to do the transaction. please don't tell me you thought this whole sending money to 'eduardo guiterrez' in 'some city' in the phillipines was done on the up and up? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he should have lied but your post is nonsense. It is not illegal to send money to a poker site so therefore he did not feel he had something to hide.

Kramer, full tilt should kiss your ass for this especially if they are listing Western Union as an accepted form of payment.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Kramer, full tilt should kiss your ass for this especially if they are listing Western Union as an accepted form of payment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very valid point.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:56 PM

I understand what Annulus is saying, but I totally have to agree with what Kramer did here.

I bet that if Kramer thought it was illegal to make this transfer, he wouldn't of done it in the first place. Since FT listed WU as a valid form of payment, he probably thought it was actually a valid form of payment...LOL.

As an honest and decent guy, when asked why he was making the transfer, he responded with the truth, feeling that there was no reason to hide anything. Maybe if he knew that he had to make up a story about what he was doing with the money, he wouldn't of even felt comfortable making the transfer at all.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he should have lied but your post is nonsense. It is not illegal to send money to a poker site so therefore he did not feel he had something to hide.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is my post nonsense? maybe it's technically not illegal to send money to an online poker site but it's definetly a gray area. most credit cards and ewallets have already denied us this privalege and WU is following suit. this is why bodog specifically has asked its players not to mention bodog or online poker when sending or receiving cash.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:48 AM

i'm w/ annulus. was pretty stupid to say online gaming [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but yea, FT should make it clear/remind you, especially if you lose out on getting to use WesternUnion.