Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Default girlfriend OR poker dilemma

I dated this girl for about 5 years + another year on and off. I'm 20 yrs old right now, and we are not currently dating at the moment, but I would not mind if we dated again.

Recently she found out that I've been gambling online again and she basically told me to pick either poker or her. I tried to tell her it's not just a game of luck like slot machines etc.

I told her I wouldn't play anymore... mistake. But I'm trying to buy some time to think of ways to convince her that it is okay.

I was thinking about this all day and the best thing I can think of is to show her that I am a winning player, possibly by showing her a graph of my results every 2 weeks or something of that sort. I want to tell her that my number one goal in life is to finish getting my degree and getting a real job & having a family, not gambling.

But I think I am going to say that if we are meant to be together she should support me in everything I want to do, including poker. She wants nothing to do with gambling because if we ever get a house she doesn't want to lose it because of gambling, but I would never do anything to cause that to happen.

I am posting this because I would like some of your opinions. I have searched and read the other few threads like this, but I would like some ideas for my specific situation.

thanks
Old 05-21-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: girlfriend OR poker dilemma

Dude you lied to her about quiting the pokers. Once she finds out you're still playing she ain't gonna give a sheet about no stinkin graph.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:15 PM

I assume this girl is the same age as you??? If so, every girl I've ever known at that age tries to make demands like this...poker or me, sports or me, your drinking buddies or me, etc. Same ol' song & dance. Don't let her run your life. It may start with this & then escalate to everything else!!! Trust me. I been there. If she don't like you playing poker after you explain to her in a rational way what it is all about...dump her. Sorry to be blunt, but you let her run things & she'll lose respect for you & find somebody else.

But, Towelie has a point...you did lie to her.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM

See my x-post:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10459846

I told her how it is and she is no longer speaking to me. oh well
Old 05-21-2007, 06:34 PM

As hard at it is. You may not be experienced to realize this yet but she is testing you. She isn't testing you to see if you love her or anything you may think. She wants to know if you're strong enough to tell her that you want to live your own life your own way and am not going to stop doing something you love by putting her before your passions. Sounds like something you would read on mASF but it's the truth.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 PM

This girl is cheating on you. Get rid of her. Girls CANNOT be alone.. especially when leaving a relationship. They don't ever "take time" or want distance if they don't already have someone they bangin or want to bang. It is the absolute truth.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But I think I am going to say that if we are meant to be together she should support me in everything I want to do, including poker. She wants nothing to do with gambling because if we ever get a house she doesn't want to lose it because of gambling, but I would never do anything to cause that to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-22-2007, 02:11 AM

in the words of killa cam

[censored] BITCHES
Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See my x-post:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10459846

I told her how it is and she is no longer speaking to me. oh well

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what you get for listening to BBV lol. Seriously tho, it's for the best, now live it up brah.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:10 PM

its your life man. Live it. Don't let her live it for you. She'll respect you more if you man up. If she's so brainwashed into not believing you, there's going to be a lot of problems down the road anyway. You're young and the pond's still full.