Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Holy [censored], an actual content post from Timex

I don't feel like I know much about the game that hasn't been put into writing at the moment, so I just analyzed my HH from the million this weekend, consider this my Carpal Tunnel post.

Lots of people have asked me for a HH in the past, so I'll try to talk about as many interesting hands as possible.

http://www.pokerxfactor.com/servlet/pxf?...e=1178001277488

Hand 6: Wow, this is going to be a fun day.
Hand 13: I had a lot of tables, I always raise 4-4.5x here, but missed the UTG limper.
Hand 14:
Flop: His flop minraise left me kind of unsure of what he had. I would have guessed it is often something like KT-KQ trying to figure out "where he's at" or something like that.
Turn: His small turn bet didn't make a lot of sense to me, I minraise primarily because he minraised me, and I don't take tournaments that seriously. When he shoved, I was happy to call, as I expect to see random kings often enough, and I needed screen space.
Hand 19: If <5-tabling I usually raise here.
Hand 31: This hand, I complained to the other Waterlooians how a K turns way too often when I have an underpair. Good thing it did.
Hand 35: Glad I didn't watch how that hand played out.
Hand 56: Once again, lots of tables, if 1 tabling, I certainly call here
Hand 57: I should really call this flop bet, I just saw it had been bet, and made the assumption it had been bet 3-500
Hand 60: Was in the washroom this hand
Hand 72: I tried to think of a good note to put on boroboy, but it ended up being "this guy sucks, yo" or something similar
Hand 81: This is probably marginal, if he had slightly less chips, I fold.
Hand 109: I'm sure you were expecting things to pick up about now, nope.
Hand 110: He minbets trips, minraises and tiny bets TPTK, this guy must have had like 7 of a kind.
Hand 125: lol, trickedaments, I can't justify anything but a shove here, I could raise to like 2800, but I'd much rather save the hassle and shove.
Hand 128: I timed out in a lot of tournaments yesterday, apparently the million was one of them
Hand 130: I am often torn as to whether or not to cbet in these situations. In a tourney like the 109r where people can be aggressive, I tend to check, in the million, I'm almost certain boro never floats, so I like a cbet.
Hand 137: I call a 3x raise, Turd has been aggressive, but it seems like he is just always getting hands. If he hadn't been always showing, I probably call this raise.
Hand 141: I guess boro tilts easily
Hand 142: If this were a faster tournament where I likely wouldn't be at the table for long, I would shove preflop. I don't want people at my table hours from now to know that I shove over SB limpers willingly.
Hand 154: I never know what to do in these spots, thoughts on minraising, calling or shoving? I think in the million calling may be most reasonable since people will never try to isolate you off the hand, but I could be wrong.
Hand 159: In the million, I never expect a 70/30 here, sweet.
Hand 179: I hate hands like this against unknowns, 2000 chips is just too many chips to pass up.
Hand 181: This flop was almost as standard as his slowroll on my 5bet. We thought he might have read out soul and fold AK to our AA, guess I was several levels behind.
Hand 190: Not sure what my reraising range preflop is, but I'm sure its very exploitable, I don't quite get his flop call, but I guess this is why I play tournaments.
Hand 194: 100bets with antes, letus gogogo
Hand 196: I often bet these boards, but I didn't know much about ace5kid, and figure that my range is probably not in great shape in virtually any postflop post against Sunday Million players, I cbet a Q74 or J72 flop, it was pretty close I think.
Hand 198: No clue why I didn't raise this, but I am fairly certain that it wasn't for any sort of rational reason.
Hand 228: If I ever check to you in a situation like this, you should probably fold.
Hand 240: I admire my discipline.
Hand 241: I pretty much don't know what to do here on any street. Pretty sure leading the flop is right, and I certainly do if we are deeper, but 4k seems so small, 5k looks like he has no fold equity. Also, thoughts on folding preflop?
Hand 242: If I don't have cards, I think betting this flop is +EV, but with stacksizes, betting and being shoved on seems to suck.
Hand 258: I would say "move up where they respect my raises" but I have seen Benyamine make much worse calls.
Hand 259-260: This table just became a lot more profitable.
Hand 264: ^^^ And he even got it in ahead
Hand 280: I'm not sure whether I should be happy with this result, was kind of bittersweet.
Hand 290: I thought that they didn't exist, but apparently there are aggressive unknowns in this tournament, too often I just assume these people are aggressive when they are really just getting big pairs every hand, just wish we could switch seats.
Hand 293: I wish I could give advice on winning these pots, but I'm not that good.
Hand 294: With the old million structure, I tend to fold this with 2 aggressive opponents in the blinds, but antes are too huge. Pretty sure its an extremely standard call after raising.
ITM- now the roller coaster begins
Hand 330:
Preflop: We just got in the money, some people could be squeeze happy. I'm not sure, but I think never reraising him in this spot is perfectly fine. With a few bets less, I think never calling him is fine.
Flop: I have no hands on him, but I really think that this may be foldable. I am not one for big laydowns(at all) I just don't see what types of hands he makes this shove with. I think given that he shoves here, he either shoves all big hands, or shoves all big draws, or both. I think if he shoves AJ its a call, but I don't think he shoves AJ.
Hand 334:
Preflop:Meatcity is quite an agressive player, against many players, I don't defend here, but I think this is a pretty easy call against him, if he had say 35-40k, I'd shove very frequently.

Flop: I still think his range is very wide here, and I think I often have the best hand, its not fun to play out of position, and I think this may be a beratable call, I just think I can win this pot alot.
Turn: I don't know what to think of that small bet, but I think I tend to have lots of outs when behind, and I don't think he makes that bet too often with like A6 or something that is beating me marginally. I think he likely has a significant number of outs, so I shoved.
Normally I tend to have better thought out plans when playing hands, I just had a feeling(aka tilt from hand 330).
Hand 335: Do most of you defend here? He had been somewhat aggressive, I just don't like going up against EP minraises.
Hand 342: I had refused to CDB(friend of meatcity's) what I had hand 334, CDB has told me about meatcity in the past, and I thought it was very possible he was shoving any pair here. I probably am way off on this and just trying to justify one of my numerous bad plays, but I think it is a much closer than most situations where you raise 66 UTG and have only like 1.6-1 to call.
Hand 362: Given hand 353, some people may think this isn't a shove. I think people don't learn, and even if I showed Q6, its probably still a +EV push(I'm not saying its unexploitable, I'm saying he would fold lots of better hands knowing I have Q6).
Hand 370: Wow, I love Sundays.
Hand 386: I don't want to say raise > fold here, but I think this is perfectly fine at a new table where I haven't really done anything. With 2 more bets I fold in this situation, I just think I get looked up very rarely here, I also fold this if I have fewer bets, if I have under ~13 bets, I fold here.
Hand 391: Speed of his shove + I know he wanted his chips back is why I called here.
Hand 422: He seemed aggressive enough that I have lots of FE here. Against an unknown, I resteal from the HJ, but not from HJ-1 with this hand.
Hand 431: Against most people I call here, Mr. seemed like a nit.
Hand 448: If he was anyone, I would certainly reraise here, I just thought he could be the type of player to talk himself into folding very big drawing hands like AQ preflop.
Also, if I reraise, my hand is essentially a bluff against Mr. T since he certainly folds AK and QQ :P.
Hand 452: Running into big pairs is a big problem for me, I need to get better at folding, or better at sucking out.
Hand 455: I am unsure about his call, but its probably pretty close. Probably correct if I don't know who he is, but I had recently found out who he was.

*Note* CDB told me that Meatcity was essentially afraid to put his tourney life on the line and ignored pot odds to stay in the tournament

Hand 466: Meatcity did some Hollywood here and mentioned that he'll let me go once since I stake his friend.
Hand 467: I'm pretty sure he folds ridiculously wide this hand, unless he is a tiltbox.
Hand 482: Brag: that river
Hand 487: I thought he was very capable of shoving many smaller pairs as well as possibly AJ and KQ. He knows I am aggressive and still may assume that I don't know who he is. I think its possible that he could get tricky with very big hands, but I could be wrong.
Hand 492: I don't think he is ever folding AQ, and I think he is also calling with relatively small pairs, so I see little reason to shove. I like my line here, I'm not sure if leading the flop is any good, but I hardly ever lead flops.
Hand 494: I fold to a 3x raise preflop, I have been really good at wasting sets this tournament. I think its a pretty easy shove with a 2 flush, do people shove a 852 rainbow flop? I think I often don't, but I'm fairly certain its correct.
Hand 502: I don't know much about copi, but I know that Mr. T is never reraising light.
Hand 509: I hadn't been at his table very long, and players in the million don't 4bet much, I think he was capable of opening a decent amount and folding a lot(like most people who get semi-deep in these tournies).
Hand 517: I think players tend to call flop bets reasonable wide here thinking I could have AQ/AJ type thing since I probably don't cbet my big pairs. After betting it twice, I think they realize that their 65, 88, dd etc is a fold.
Hand 527: The fact that he raised the button again made me feel he might actually be aggressive. I don't resteal extremely light here, this is towards the very bottom of my range, I'm pretty sure with the big range, and ina being tight, its still very correct.
Hand 541: I claimed I folded KK here, I don't fold KK, but I am fairly certain I fold QQ.
Hand 557: I think this is standard
Hand 597: I had been watching the other tables, and Aussie seemed to be bullying players a fair bit.
Preflop: Obviously my stack is ridiculously deep for restealing, I feel like I have an edge on their range, position and I had watched them play, and they likely did not have my table open, so I opted to call. I am usually not one for calling raises with shallow stacks, but I thought it was reasonable here.
Flop:
I think he cbets almost anything he raises preflop, which includes lots of small pairs, other overcards, some big pairs, the occasional ten and possibly some random [censored] like 65, Stack sizes seem ugly to shove over this raise, and also, I think a call looks stronger on this board.
Turn: The king on the turn seems like a fairly scary cards, QJ is one of the only draws that makes sense for me to have on the flop. If checked to me, I planned on betting 225k at the pot. He then bet 225k, which was against slightly confusing, I thought it was possible he is just 2 barreling trying to "represent the ten" its possible he has the ten and "wants to sucker me in" its possible he has something where he wants to "see where he's at". Who knows, I just think that if I shove here, it looks pretty [censored] strong(what would your calling range be against a shove here?) and most of his range ends up folding.
Showing the bluff: I rationalized this by telling myself it would make opponents fear playing pots with me as I clearly have no respect for money.

In actuality, it was just a dumb spot to show and I have too much ego.

Hand 605: Not sure if smoothcalling or reraising less is good. In retrospect I think that making it 225k may be more correct.
Hand 617: I hate folding here so much even though its almost certainly an easy fold.
Hand 623: Once against a really easy fold I hate making.
Hand 643: It didn't work, but I like my resteal here, I haven't shown down too many non-standard hands against mastr, and I think that he may still think that I think he is an unknown. Dubner did squeeze-shove me just 2 orbits ago, but I think that J9o is way more than a 2.3-1 dog against his range.
Hand 657: Sam seems to be the type of player who plays a decent number of pots, he has called one of my raises here, and 3 bet me in the one blind battle. He may have been at an earlier table, but I can't remember.
Flop: In the million, I have trouble not cbetting pots.
Turn: I decide to more or less give up would fold to a bet or 80k+ or so
River: This seems interesting since a lot of his range is likely 33, 55-TT, QTs? suited connectors in hearts etc. I could be wrong, but I think my river bet is profitable even if he calls with QT, Ax etc. cutie claims that in this spot he calls my bet with Q high, calls an unknowns bet with A high, I doubt anyone is calling here with like 99, but I could be wrong. After his shove, I honestly think it is extremely likely he has JJ(more than 25% I think).
Hand 659: [censored] you and your unbelievable nittyness bjorn, it is probably a bad call by me since this I am fairly confident this is the worst hand you shove.
Hand 662: Sam > me
Hand 671: I am confident this is +CEV since kenar was the type of player who would be stalling if it weren't for H4H play. I was 19th/19, he was 18th, I am pretty confident he wanted the big pay increase.

Hands I wonder about 130,154, 179, 196, 241, 294, 330, 334, 362,448, 487, 492, 527, 597, 605, 657, 671( I may have forgotten a few)

This took me a while and I'm [censored] tired and back to being bitter about losing, gnite.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Holy [censored], an actual content post from Timex

Also, tl;dr ldo.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 AM

Good god that's a lot of writing...on my way out, but I'll try to berate your play later.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM

I just wrote the longest reply ever and it got deleted. endlife
Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so certain that this is false.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM

This is so funny !

I assume that it was meant to be ? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I did not read. In fact I hardly read any of the post, but I think I got the gist. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I suspect that some of those hands, if not all of them may have come from your hand history.

But either way, I am amazed that you put so much time into making your post.

Anyway, I doubt that it was serious, even if it contained some serious content.

In fact, I am not quite sure what point it was trying, if any to make.

But it made me smile [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and so good luck to you and your Carpal Tunnel post [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM

watched the HH, read your notes. Foudn most of it solid and standard. Definately liked the read on Aussie and didn't think it was you just showing off. PRob sohuldn't have shown so he can remain more exploitable but he was def overaggressive.

I'm very curious on the busto hand because I disagree that its +cEV. Even assume kenar folds 100 % of hands (which is obv unrealistic) then you're still shoving your crap hand into 2 players with a stack size that just says its incorrect.

Also interested about the size of your 3bets against meatcity in those 2 hands.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so certain that this is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not ever, but it was fairly long and took forever to write while watching the HH. I didn't have any major criticisms other than folding small pairs in EP and thinking a couple of the bluffs were bad, random nittish comments you'd expect from me probably. Oh yeah I disagreed with a few of the cbet/not cbet decisions but they were mostly close.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:46 AM

I want the last 30 minutes of my life back...Watched the first 150 hands and pretty much nothing happened. Only hands that were weird turns out you just suck at multitabling. Only hand I don't like is 14 with AK: just check/call turn and bet/fold or check/call river. Getting allin there seems like suicide to me (although he later showed he was happy to get lots of money in with top pair mediocre kicker). I might try to go through more tomorrow but wow those were probably the most boring 150 hands ever.

Steve
Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 AM

Brag: Luck factor = 35 (50 = average)