Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 AM

Default talking at the table

I was playing online poker today and one of my friends was watching as an observer and he told me that i shouldn't talk @ the table because i might give away my hand strength by how fast i type. Has anybody else noticed this tell?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: talking at the table

Not in precisely that form. Closely related, however, I would say that the more interested someone is in gabbing, the least interested he or she is in the hand.

The same psychology underlying this tell may be the same in live games when someone looks at his hole cards then suddenly remebers something that happened yesterday that you'll neeeeeever guess, versus the player who looks at his hole cards then either quickly glances at his chips or is more quietly involved in the hand. The first is unengaged, presumably becaase whatever trash he was just dealt won't translate into breeding chips; the second, however, is more likely to be thinking how to best set you up to pay for his pizza and hookers tonight.

This goes a tangential way to saying that there may be some correlation: those spewing chat are less likely to be spewing chips. Then again, there are some great talkers out there. Take Negraneau, for instance.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 AM

Unless you are playing against experts, any tells you may or may not be giving off will be likely interpreted correctly and incorrectly in equal proportions.

If you are really worried and interested in testing this theory, then pay close attention to how other players are reacting to your table chat. If you can figure out if you are giving a tell that is +EV to someone (and I figure you friend is a tad paranoid here), then turn it around to make it +EV for you.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are playing against experts, any tells you may or may not be giving off will be interpreted incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spotting and using tells to your advantage is a very difficult thing to do. Most beginners and amateurs alike often interpret the tell incorrectly and therefore should be worried about other things, initially. (Pot odds, table image, position, betting paterns etc.) Don't put too much emphasis on whether or not you are giving off tells, they are not that important.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:35 PM

If you chat before your turn to act when your not going to play or chat while a hand is in progress as you are planning to fold once action is to you, but the times you plan to participate you don't chat. Then sure it's a tell

Simple fix..never chat if you have cards. Also, if you're chatting a lot then you're probbly not paying close attention to what others are doing and possibly costing yourself some money.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:57 PM

I might be in the minority here but i like to chat at the table, it helps me get a feel for what type of people i'm playing against. A guy is more likely to call you when you really want him too if you've kinda gotten under his skin a little.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not in precisely that form. Closely related, however, I would say that the more interested someone is in gabbing, the least interested he or she is in the hand.

The same psychology underlying this tell may be the same in live games when someone looks at his hole cards then suddenly remebers something that happened yesterday that you'll neeeeeever guess, versus the player who looks at his hole cards then either quickly glances at his chips or is more quietly involved in the hand. The first is unengaged, presumably becaase whatever trash he was just dealt won't translate into breeding chips ; the second, however, is more likely to be thinking how to best set you up to pay for his pizza and hookers tonight.

This goes a tangential way to saying that there may be some correlation: those spewing chat are less likely to be spewing chips. Then again, there are some great talkers out there. Take Negraneau, for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This works great pre-flop but if the flop comes down and someone suddenly tries to perceive themselves as a little a threat as possible then you should be cautious.

Generally if I see this i'll lean out and see if they come over the top of me or just smooth call. A player who's 'uninterested' in the hand but coming along for the ride will really get me thinking.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:27 AM

I meant this to be a joke saying that the speed you type could be a tell... it was late and i was going to bed and thought it was a funny thought so i posted it and it turned into a serious discussion. lol
Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant this to be a joke saying that the speed you type could be a tell... it was late and i was going to bed and thought it was a funny thought so i posted it and it turned into a serious discussion. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Moral of the story: make lame jokes, expect lame results.