Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Overpairs

I am a beginner, I started playing for real money at the beginning of April. I assume that most TAG players make most of their money from big pairs followed by medium and small pairs. However, I often find myself in tough spots with non-premium over pairs illustrated by the following examples:

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $36.60
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $25</font>
UTG: $18.30
UTG+1: $53.35
MP1: $34.90
MP2: $9.65
CO: $10.90
BTN: $22.80

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">Villain is 21/7/2, straight forward player that is an overall loser in this game and has trouble folding one pair.</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8 Players)
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, 5 folds, Hero calls $1.75, UTG folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($4.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets $4</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $23</font>, UTG+1 calls $19

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($50.35) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

<font color="black">River:</font> ($50.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $50.35 ($2.50 Rake)

UTG+1 had Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Queens and Tens) and WON (+$22.85)
Hero had J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, Jacks and Tens) and LOST (-$25)

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $25.15
BB: $16.75
UTG: $33.55
<font color="black">Hero (UTG+1): $25</font>
MP1: $63.10
MP2: $10
MP3: $26.15
CO: $24.65
BTN: $16.10

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">Villain is 17/2/3.</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.60</font>, 2 folds, MP3 calls $1.60, 4 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($3.55) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.75</font>, MP3 calls $2.75

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($9.05) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="red">MP3 raises to $8</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $20.65</font>, MP3 calls $12.65

<font color="black">River:</font> ($50.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $50.35 ($2.50 Rake)

MP3 had K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Nines) and WON (+$22.85)
Hero had T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Tens and Nines) and LOST (-$25)

Basically I want to gain a better understanding of when it is correct and incorrect to play over pairs. I understand that the two hands posted are played very badly.

Please post any comments and/or suggestions.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Overpairs

JJ

In the face of a limp and a raise, this hand is not looking so good. Personally, I would reraise here to $6 or fold. JJ is not the kind of hand you want to keep going with deep into a hand. It has actually been called the hardest hand to play in NL holdem. I don't know how UTG+1 would have reacted to your reraise but if he reraised again, you would then definitely know to fold and it would have cost you $6.

You were doing well until the MP3 raise on the turn. MP3 called two aggressive actions by you and then raised your third aggressive action. It does depend on reads here but this should be a very clear warning bell. Again depending on my table image and reads, I might have bet pot on the turn. If MP3 is still around after that, I am beat. Alternatively, I might check/call the turn. That's a little passive but probably less expensive. MP3s call on the flop indicates two high cards, a pocket pair, a 9 and possibly a 3 but a 3 doesn't seem likely unless he has 33. Or he could be the kind of player that calls a raise with A3s (again reads are important here).
Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Overpairs

i dont think these two hands are played terribly. there's a chance i wouldve gone broke in both situations, but you might want to just call in both situations and reevaluate on the next round.