Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Default An interesting hand

This is an interesting hand in light of all the talk about playing small PP preflop.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/c...ansky0407.html

What does everyone think of this analysis? I'm guessing it goes against what 75% of the players here would do pf/flop/turn?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: An interesting hand

I would play the same way, though his analysis isnt anything that mind opening.

You are far aheard at a 6 player limped pot. You need people to catch up. There is still two people to act behind you and three ahead of you, the turn check is more valuable then the bet.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 AM

i stopped reading after slansky checked the flop. bad move
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 AM

I think this is a good example of why DS is known as one of the BEST nl players in the world [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Saying that checking the flop and turn is the absolute "right" play is pretty laughable imo. Maybe if you are viewed as a super nit math freak.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i stopped reading after slansky checked the flop. bad move

[/ QUOTE ]
When is your book coming out?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a good example of why DS is known as one of the BEST nl players in the world [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Saying that checking the flop and turn is the absolute "right" play is pretty laughable imo. Maybe if you are viewed as a super nit math freak.

[/ QUOTE ]
What would you suggest and why? I find it interesting two people have disagreed but not given any reason for a alternate line.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:02 PM

you have bet the flop in order to buil the pot if you have any hopes of winning some money.
slansky argues that we need to check in order to provoke bluffers to take a stab at the pot. this is silly because there are tons of hands that a lot of ppl will call bet but won't bet themselves. small overpairs like 88. also, nobody in their right mind is going to bluff a 6 player limped pot. checking the turn is even more horrific.
i guess i didn't go into detail before because i thought it was so obvious.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What would you suggest and why? I find it interesting two people have disagreed but not given any reason for a alternate line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well betting the flop certainly seems reasonable. It was limped pot so 22, 33, 45, 88-99, etc are all very possible holdings.

The point I was trying to get across is that I think the best flop and turn action depends on your image.

If you are like me you get caught taking stabs at the flop quite a bit and might get raised on a draw, bluff, or 88-99 hand, or called by over cards or TP. Also someone with TP/overpair may call your bet on the flop but shut down if you check and a high card comes on the turn.

However if you are generally viewd as a nit that never bluffs or bets weak hands then by all means check.

What I think is laughable is the arrogance of saying that the ONLY correct play here is to check, check.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:12 PM

I agree. There are spots where slowplaying is correct, but this is not one of them. With so many players in the pot, someone has to have a middle pair, A3s for bottom pair and a backdoor, or something like that. They will try to check these hands down, and if they call one bet at all, it will be on the flop, while they still have hope to improve. So if you wait, you'll likely end up with nothing at all.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well betting the flop certainly seems reasonable. It was limped pot so 22, 33, 45, 88-99, etc are all very possible holdings.

The point I was trying to get across is that I think the best flop and turn action depends on your image.

If you are like me you get caught taking stabs at the flop quite a bit and might get raised on a draw, bluff, or 88-99 hand, or called by over cards or TP. Also someone with TP/overpair may call your bet on the flop but shut down if you check and a high card comes on the turn.

However if you are generally viewd as a nit that never bluffs or bets weak hands then by all means check.

What I think is laughable is the arrogance of saying that the ONLY correct play here is to check, check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I think you and BT2 missed an important point in the example "They all play a decent, fairly straightforward game" so I can't see many hands that are going to give you much action if you bet. If you are in there with 22/33 it doesn't matter much if you bet now or the river because you are going to get it all in with them anyway.

I don't see 88/99 giving you much action here, the played it for set value and they didn't hit so you might get them to bet the flop but I don't think they are calling anything.

At least if we assume they are all decent players that is.