Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Has anyone had a tattoo removed?

I want my tattoos removed, but the information out there is showing a WIDE range of costs, so I was hoping to find someone with personal experience. I have three tattoos, with a definite order of preference in terms of removal. The first one I want gone is on my foreman, in fairly light, black ink. I searched for some pictures, and found one that showed a black tattoo pretty much gone after one treatment, however, most places I look seem to say that anywhere from 6-12 sessions is average.

In short, who has had a tattoo removed, or knows someone who did, and how much did it cost, total?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Has anyone had a tattoo removed?

I'd love to hear more about what the tattoos are, why you got them, and why you want them removed.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:41 PM

First tattoo: Age 18. Stupid sun on my leg, with an Alpha and Omega in the middle. While the alpha and omega symbol is mostly thought of as religious (Jesus as the alpha and omega), I got it entirely as a reminded that everything has a beginning and an end, and there's nothing really wrong with that. I don't like, and regretted it almost a year after I got it.

Second: Age 19. Stars around my wrist. Eh, sounded like a good idea at the time. My watch covers it up most of the time.

Third: Age 23: A Claddagh symbol, with the gaelic words for love, loyalty, and friendship in a band around my arm. My grandmother was an Irish immigrant, and embodied all of those things for me.

I want to get the first two removed because, well, I don't like them, and think they were a mistake. I actually like my third, however, I wouldn't have put it on my forearm. In fact, if I did get it removed, I would like to eventually get it somewhere else, probably the bicep. However, because of my chosen profession I feel like I constantly have to hide it, and the stress that comes with that isn't worth having it.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 PM

My fiancee is in the process of getting one removed - it's on her shoulderblade, maybe the size of a fist. She wanted it gone before our wedding in a couple months. I'm not even sure what it is/was, it just looked like a big blob of dark ink - something she got in a garage back when she was 16 or something. Maybe an eagle or something. I dunno.

Anyway, she does a laser treatment maybe once a month, and it's $500 a session - she's had 4 already, and I'd guess she has 2-3 sessions left (FWIW, they told us "about 4" when we were getting estimates, so build an extra session or two into your budget). It's apparently pretty painful for a week or so after every session. It gets bloody/pus-sy (did I misspell that?), and I have to put neosporin on her back and cover it with gauze twice a day. That lasts for about a week. The it stays kind of blistery (though that's been getting better with each treatment), apparently itches for weeks, and is generally an unpleasant experience.

It is working, pretty much as advertisied I guess, but it's expensive and seems uncomfortable. Best advice: if you're going to get a tattoo - make sure it's something you'll want to keep!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM

damn, taht sounds brutal. I was gunna get a tattoo of Brian Townsend on my arm, but then Phil Ivey won like 8 buy ins off of him...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 PM

It seems to me that tattoo removal is going to be the new funeral home.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 PM

Ive heard of some product called "wrecking balm" for tat removal...not sure the cost or effectiveness...but the radio ad sounded convincing...might want to look into that.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best advice: if you're going to get a tattoo - make sure it's something you'll want to keep!

[/ QUOTE ]

I't a virtual certainty that if you live a reasonable span you'll regret every tattoo.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best advice: if you're going to get a tattoo - make sure it's something you'll want to keep!

[/ QUOTE ]

I't a virtual certainty that if you live a reasonable span you'll regret every tattoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I don't know about that. I'd think some things could mean enough that you at least wouldn't hate it. I'd never get one though - I've seen too many people regret them, and I think the whole premise is pretty silly to begin with.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Instead of focusing on removing the tattoo, why don't you just get the tattoer to put a new skin looking tattoo on top of your current tattoo?

This way, it wouldn't look like you have a tattoo yet you know that there are actually two layers of tattoos yet no one knows that there really are two tattoos there. The first one being the original tattoo that originally covered your real skin. The second one being the skin looking tattoo that covers the original tattoo but that looks like your real skin but which in fact is a real tattoo, yet no one knows that it is real since it looks like real skin not a tattoo, but it is in fact a tattoo - but that's okay because only you and your tattooer know that is is a real tattoo.

In short, you have two tattoos but no one knows that you do because the second tattoo that covers the first tattoo looks like a real skin not a tattoo even though it really is a tattoo in reality but not in perception.