Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 02:22 AM

Default how tall would you let your kid get?

your child has a problem like sun ming ming , and will continue growing until surgery is preformed. You discover this when you child is 4 ft tall- how tall would you let your child grow before electing for the surgery? How big is the differential between a boy or a girl?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Re: how tall would you let your kid get?

[ QUOTE ]
your child has a problem like sun ming ming , and will continue growing until surgery is preformed. You discover this when you child is 4 ft tall- how tall would you let your child grow before electing for the surgery? How big is the differential between a boy or a girl?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really good question. I enjoy debates like this, especially in medicine, that challenge our ideas of what healthy and normal mean, and how they affect our choices. I have no idea what I would do in this situation and I don't envy any parent who has to make this kind of choice, but I'd go with....6'5". Something on the tall end of normal range, mostly because tall people tend to be more successful.

I'm 5'9" btw.

EDIT: I'm pretty stoked that I was able to guess that he had a pituitary tumor inhibiting GnRH without reading the wiki. My endocrinology prof would be proud.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 AM

For a girl, 5'8
For a guy, 6'2

That way if they have good looking faces they could still be fashion models.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 AM

This depends a lot on how well proportioned they are as they're growing. I would hate for the kid to be 6'6" with a medium frame.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really good question. I enjoy debates like this, especially in medicine, that challenge our ideas of what healthy and normal mean, and how they affect our choices. I have no idea what I would do in this situation and I don't envy any parent who has to make this kind of choice, but I'd go with....6'5". Something on the tall end of normal range, mostly because tall people tend to be more successful.

I'm 5'9" btw.

EDIT: I'm pretty stoked that I was able to guess that he had a pituitary tumor inhibiting GnRH without reading the wiki. My endocrinology prof would be proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guessed that too, but they thought that I had one of these when I was a kid, so I guess it's cheating.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:44 AM

8 ft so they could be a schlub that plays in the NBA
Old 05-04-2007, 03:50 AM

lol I found this video of him on the today show... http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...0&fg=email

make sure you watch it til the end. Definetly has the stuff for the NBA.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm 5'9" btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

My success-height is 4'3" but I'm still young and I'm hoping I'll grow into my physical height.

I wouldn't be concerned too much with the height part of the decision. My choice would center on the health risk and I'd stunt him at 5 ft if that risk was severe ( or let him go to 7 or more if it aided the health issue). If the operation was necessary but not pressing then 6ish feet at a time that didn't disrupt his education would do fine.

luckyme,