Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Ben\'s Summer Log

Welcome to my log H&F!

Background info: I've been working out, dieting, and learning about the two for almost 4 years now. I've learned by research, personal trial and error, and asking a ton of questions. I think I have a very good feel for what I'm doing, and I've seen great results.

07' hasn't been the best fitness year for me so far. In 06', and before I was a total fanatic about diet and exercise. I took a Food & Nutrition course in Fall 06' at my University and we had a body fat machine brought into lab. I was registered at 2.5%. I know this is a little inaccurate (Lance Armstrong was 3-4% in riding season), but I just want to illustrate where I used to be, and that I am capable of getting myself very lean.

Through a brutal school semester and several looming injuries I have gained a noticeable amount of weight this year. Around 10 lbs or so. I will use this log to show everyone how powerful dieting and exercising can be! My goal is to cut my body fat back down and lean up while maintaining my lifting schedule and diet.

Numbers: (Ill add more to this later, especially if I can get my body fat checked. If anyone wants any other info to track I will happily give it. Weight will be checked first thing in the morning.)

4/24/07
Height: 5'10''
Weight: 157 lbs
Body Fat:

Pictures coming soon, and I will plan on updating the pictures once a month or so to show progress.

I ask you all to ridicule me if I start to bitch, and to motivate me to keep myself in line!

Let it begin!

One last note: I am still recovering from a wrist injury and I haven't been able to lift in almost three weeks. I plan to go hit my legs and I will be doing cardio when I have time. As I get through this injury I'll begin lifting again, hopefully I'll be posting my upper body workouts before too long.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Ben\'s Summer Log

4/24/07

yeah yeah the first day is easy.

10am: handful almonds, bowl of old fashioned oatmeal w/ a low sugar yogurt.

12:30pm: chick fil-a chargrilled sandwich. These things are awesome. 22g protein, 27 carbs I think and its on a wheat bun, 2-3g fat. Starbucks Coffee.

2:30pm: Powerbar Nut Natural Bar. 10 prot, 9 sug, 17 carb, 10 fat, 1 saturated. I'm on campus from 11 to 3:30, so youll see me using bars often. This one is satisfying and the ingredients are pretty good.

4:00pm: I was pretty hungry. Super healthy wheat/flax tortilla thing I found, 3 slices turkey, little bit of mustard wrapped up. Sprite zero and water. Still hungry, I expected this to happen and I'm going to try my old method of handling it. Hacking away at vegetables until I am comfortable. Bowl of Lettuce and chopped up a tomato, negligable amount of dressing. Feel good now.

7:00pm

9:30 pm

I have a load of school work today as I have all this week. Going to try and hit the legs and treadmill within the next two hours or so. Will edit in the rest of the day tonight.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:43 PM

I dont want to be a douche, but you werent 2.5% bf, and lance's bf for riding season is probably about double what you posted.

Under 4 or 5% isnt safe, and youd pass out a lot, for sports you want even more fat than that, less for an aerobic exercise, but it def isnt under 8%.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont want to be a douche, but you werent 2.5% bf, and lance's bf for riding season is probably about double what you posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right it was a little off like I said. I was very low though. And his really is around 4% during riding season. And his caloric intake is huge. I used to run everyday for 40-60 minutes, and my intake was like 2200. So yeah, its close.

Also I used to almost pass out during workouts, I'd have to sit down or lean against something because I felt I was going to black out. I was really, really lean.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right it was a little off like I said. I was very low though. And his really is around 4% during riding season. And his caloric intake is huge. I used to run everyday for 40-60 minutes, and my intake was like 2200. So yeah, its close.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize those two comments have little to do with BF?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM

Running everyday has a lot to do with body fat. So does spreading 2200 calories over 6-7 meals a day.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Running everyday has a lot to do with body fat. So does spreading 2200 calories over 6-7 meals a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. Aside from the fact genetic predisposition to body fat levels and chemical enhancement likely have the strongest correlation to the ability to maintain lower body fat levels.

Or the fact you're a tiny [censored].
Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. Aside from the fact genetic predisposition to body fat levels and chemical enhancement likely have the strongest correlation to the ability to maintain lower body fat levels.

Or the fact you're a tiny [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

First off I used to be fat. I've been as high as 185. I lowered my personal body fat by cardiovascular exercise.
Here is a short explanation, I have to buy new soccer shoes before they close so I'm not going to give you all the details. I would be more than happy to discuss it with you later though.

Are you familiar with oxidative phosphorlyzation and kreb's cycle? Basically krebs cycle is first which takes calories mostly from your fat and producses FADH and NADH. Then a pair of H molecules are sent down the electron transpot chain (the second process in the energy cycle). Now here there are 3 different molecules that all like the H. So the H bonds w/ the first one, breaks and bonds w/ the second one because it has a higher attraction, then breaks to bond with the 3rd one which has the highest attraction. The third one being oxygen, so you get H2O aka water. Everytime hydrogen goes from one molecule to the next you get an ATP. so this yields you energy production and fat burning.

Ive received most of this information from Courtney Jensen and I'd like to give him credit.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM

guids,
I remember hearing a couple of times (on tour de france coverage) that Lance's body fat was between 3-5%.

Here's a profile of Armstrong apparently from the New Yorker that states his bf% as 4-5.

Here's another article in the Seattle Times about the methods/profession of measuring bf levels, that claims 2% levels have been recorded.

Of course, at such low levels, errors can be magnified.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 PM

ankle,

I think those are skinfold only, IIRC you have ~3% to protect organs etc.