Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Alternative Dieting Idea

The other day I burned the roof of my mouth pretty badly, because I'm an idiot. Anyway, the result of this was that it made eating pretty much anything pretty damn painful.

What if the obese types were to voluntarily undergo some procedure that would make it painful to eat. At some point, they'd have to eat and just bear the pain, as they'd have no choice. But, I would have to imagine that your body would condition you to have an aversion to eating food.

Just like how I had a serious aversion to tequila for over a year following a night of heavy drinking that ended badly.

Anyway, just a thought.

-RMJ
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Alternative Dieting Idea

Well, I've heard that that gastric bypass makes it really uncomfortable to eat more than a couple tablespoons full of food at a time. People get sick, throw up, etc. if they try to eat more than that.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:46 PM

The best thing fatties can do to drop the weight is to put down the fork.....actualy most thing fatties eat doesn't come on a fork so I guess better advice would be to put down the bag of chips, mac and cheese, and the soda.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Food is one of the best parts of life. Why would you not want to be able to enjoy it? Just enjoy it in moderation.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:38 PM

Ya, but fatties obviously don't get the moderation part. If it really hurt to eat, I think you'd learn to cut down on it.

-RMJ
Old 04-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Maybe then we could staple peoples eyes shut who make stupid OOT posts.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 PM

Meh, I think we should just let fat people be fat. There's no miraculous dieting procedure that's going to change anything, the equation is surprisingly simple... you gain weight by consuming more than you burn off, so to lose weight you either a) consume less b) burn off more or c) some combination thereof. Therefore the people who are fat are just not trying to lose the weight, but so what? Fat people can be jolly and pleasant to be around. And also it's nobody's business how many hot dogs some dude wants to eat honestly. But as far as serious diet methods go... no, this is dumb. Just eat less and exercise more, or else deal with being fat.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore the people who are fat are just not trying to lose the weight, but so what? Fat people can be jolly and pleasant to be around. And also it's nobody's business how many hot dogs some dude wants to eat honestly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they paid for their own health care, then I would agree. If they increase insurance premiums for everyone else, then I do care. Definitely not a "so what?" Same goes for taking up way too much room on an airplane, etc. There are probably dozens more reasons why their refusal to do something serious about their obesity causes me discomfort. But, that's just my opinion on the situation.

Say we had a guy that has a history of DUIs. Would it be such a bad idea to give him a procedure that if he touched alcohol he'd feel excruciating pain? So strong would be this effect that he would not even be able to eat rum cake or use alcohol-based deodorants?

Ya, there's a difference between killing people in a drunk-driving situation and costing (thinner) people more money, but where do you draw the line?

-RMJ
Old 04-27-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ya, there's a difference between killing people in a drunk-driving situation and costing (thinner) people more money, but where do you draw the line?

-RMJ

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much exactly where I draw the line actually... the fact that we pay for healthcare of overweight people is a healthcare problem and not a "let's force people to diet" problem IMO
Old 04-27-2007, 06:53 PM

mbillie,

You are correct by saying the OP's idea is dumb, in fact it is f'ing retarded. I disagree w/ not worrying about losing the weight, sure they can be jolly and pleasant to be around but that isn't the point, the point is a healthy lifestyle. Obesity is dangerous and obese people should want to lose weight for the sake of living longer not b/c they want to look good in a bathing suit (most never will).