Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Dying from \"Old Age\"

Sometimes I will hear about an old person dying, and I'll ask "how did they die?". I'm told, old age. Then I am like, yeah, but how did they actually die, a heart attack, a stroke? And I get told, "just old age".

Is old age a legit cause of death? It never made sense to me. I assume old age causes something, which causes death. But people wanna play hardball and stick with simply old age. A coroner wouldn't write old age as cause of death right?

What is this old age crap? I am right, right? People don't actually just die from being old.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Dying from \"Old Age\"

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I will hear about an old person dying, and I'll ask "how did they die?". I'm told, old age. Then I am like, yeah, but how did they actually die, a heart attack, a stroke? And I get told, "just old age".

Is old age a legit cause of death? It never made sense to me. I assume old age causes something, which causes death. But people wanna play hardball and stick with simply old age. A coroner wouldn't write old age as cause of death right?

What is this old age crap? I am right, right? People don't actually just die from being old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sleep apnea. Really it probably means a whole host of things, most of them being cardiac arrest. Its a euphemism for someone who is old and dies for something they weren't being treated for.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:53 PM

So really they should be telling me sleep anea, cardiac arrest, etc. But they don't know the facts (like not knowing why half of earth doesn't freeze) so they just stick by this "old age" pile of bull crap.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So really they should be telling me sleep anea, cardiac arrest, etc. But they don't know the facts (like not knowing why half of earth doesn't freeze) so they just stick by this "old age" pile of bull crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a few problems. First, its often impossible to determine the true cause of death unless you do an autopsy. Obviously, a lot of people prefer not to have autopsies done on their parents, grandparents, or whatever, when foul play is extremely unlikely. So, they could randomly guess cardiac arrest, or they could just give a safe catch-all, and say 'natural causes.'
Old 04-22-2007, 12:09 AM

How do they know it was natural causes or old age if an autopsy wasn't done? It seems pretty suspicious these people refuse to have an autopsy performed and vehemently stand by the vague cause of death as "old age". Pretty convenient way to get rid of someone who may have become a financial burden on the family.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do they know it was natural causes or old age if an autopsy wasn't done? It seems pretty suspicious these people refuse to have an autopsy performed and vehemently stand by the vague cause of death as "old age". Pretty convenient way to get rid of someone who may have become a financial burden on the family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. There are probably a not-insignificant number of deaths that could be attributed to this. Also, mercy killings. Not much we can really do about it, though. It would be pretty impractical to make autopsies mandatory, I think (although I don't know this for certain). Whats a better strategy? And who do you think is being lied to or deceived here? To whom does it really matter?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:25 AM

I think I am being lied to by these people who want me to think people are just randomly dying from old age and there is nothing behind it. But I see through their lies.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I am being lied to by these people who want me to think people are just randomly dying from old age and there is nothing behind it. But I see through their lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ok. Did I forget to mention that 10-15% (depending on the study you read) of old people die as a direct result of over-vigorous alien anal probes?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very true. There are probably a not-insignificant number of deaths that could be attributed to this. Also, mercy killings. Not much we can really do about it, though. It would be pretty impractical to make autopsies mandatory, I think (although I don't know this for certain). Whats a better strategy? And who do you think is being lied to or deceived here? To whom does it really matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

People die. "Mercy killings"?The only lie and deceit is in your head.Breathtaking ignorance.Wish you luck.

carlo
Old 04-22-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People die. "Mercy killings"?The only lie and deceit is in your head.Breathtaking ignorance.Wish you luck.

carlo

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about? You don't think a significant amount of elderly, terminally ill patients ask their loved ones to end their suffering for them? What exactly am I ignorant about? No one ever offs their old burdens?

People die. And sometimes they are helped along. So what?