Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Commuting in Vegas without a car

This is an instance where I miss the old (new) forum software, because the multiuser PM function could have probably handled this. Alas, it's not an option, so I head to OOT.

I'd like to get some thoughts on commuting without a car in Vegas. Asking on behalf of my brother, who is moving there, and won't have a car right away. It's impacting his decision on where to live, because I've passed along all of the housing advice, but he's unsure how easy it's going to be to get back and forth from somewhere like Summerlin or Green Valley/Henderson without a car. He'd be commuting to the Venetian, btw.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If you have a used car you want to sell cheap, that's appreciated as well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Commuting in Vegas without a car

Wow, I can't imagine not having a car in Vegas especially if you live 20 minutes away from the strip. He needs something cheap at the least.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 PM

There's no way I would do this.
I only have limited experience in Vegas but I can guarantee that trying to do this would be a total pain in the ass.

Assuming the bus routes go to where he is it would almost certainly take awhile.
And obviously taking a cab would be mega-expensive.

Just some $2k clunker would be a better option than making that commute everyday I suspect.

He's got to go to grocery-stores and stuff like that too I'm assuming.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I can't imagine not having a car in Vegas especially if you live 20 minutes away from the strip. He needs something cheap at the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is certainly his plan. The question is, in the short term, say for a couple of weeks, is it at least workable in some way? Is the bus system passable, or will he be looking at cabs? But as soon as he can get a loan I'm sure he'll be getting a car.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 PM

If it's only for a couple of weeks then maybe getting the cheapest rental possible would be worth considering.

Does he even know if the bus comes anywhere near his house?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an instance where I miss the old (new) forum software, because the multiuser PM function could have probably handled this. Alas, it's not an option, so I head to OOT.

I'd like to get some thoughts on commuting without a car in Vegas. Asking on behalf of my brother, who is moving there, and won't have a car right away. It's impacting his decision on where to live, because I've passed along all of the housing advice, but he's unsure how easy it's going to be to get back and forth from somewhere like Summerlin or Green Valley/Henderson without a car. He'd be commuting to the Venetian, btw.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If you have a used car you want to sell cheap, that's appreciated as well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is going to be living there, since a couple weeks inconvenience or car rental is going to alter where he lives?

if hes getting a loan, just rent a car with a credit card for security, only a few hundred and 1000x easier than other options.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is going to be living there, since a couple weeks inconvenience or car rental is going to alter where he lives?

if hes getting a loan, just rent a car with a credit card for security, only a few hundred and 1000x easier than other options.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll be there at least a year I think. I hadn't thought about renting a car, but shoot, that is an obvious option. I suck. He doesn't have insurance though after being without a car for a long time, so that wouldn't necessarily be super cheap, but would at least beat a cab fare I bet.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:15 PM

renting >>>> cab

bus might work but seems kinda sketchy based on my limited experience with friends doing it.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:26 PM

Venetian is the worst place to get to even with a car. Its just hopeless without one. Go with rental car or possibly look at a place like craigslist for a ride sharing situation.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He'll be there at least a year I think. I hadn't thought about renting a car, but shoot, that is an obvious option. I suck. He doesn't have insurance though after being without a car for a long time, so that wouldn't necessarily be super cheap, but would at least beat a cab fare I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check with his credit card company, they may cover insurance on rentals. If not and there's time it may be worth getting a card that does just for this. Most Gold or better cards cover insurance on rentals. Be aware though they usually only cover up to full size cars. No 4x4's, min-vans or premium/luxury vehicles (no Caddy's and such).