Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Shaving head question (equipment recommendation?)

Hey all,

I'm a realy low maintenance guy, and I've kept my hair short for years now, usually getting it cut with a no. 2 and letting it grow out for 2 months. Now though, I want to start keeping it pretty short all the time (its gets pretty shaggy when I let it grow out) and figure the best way to do this would be to by an electric razor of some sort. So I went out and bought a cheapo one from Walmart.

The problem? I've got thick hair and it doesn't seem able to cut it very well - it constantly gets stuck and pulls on my hair in an none-too nice way and also doesnt do a very even job, even when I get someone else to help (little bits of hair will be longer than the rest, etc.)

Anyway, I dont want to have to make this a mission, but really wanna do it myself, so does anyone have recommendations for a good electric razor that will do the job? I've been thinking along the lines of a Panasonic es8066, does anyone have experience with this?

Anyone have stories to share?

-pug
Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Shaving head question (equipment recommendation?)

I do the samething you do only i perfer to go to a professional. if you do the entire head on the same length, i dont think it looks so hot. it looks better when they make the top a it longer then the sides, which is hard to do by yourself.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 AM

1) Buy a better electric razor. One specifically for heads.

2) Use scissors to hack off as much of the excess as possible so that its not as easy for razor to get clogged.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 AM

I'll be honest with you. Unless you're completely shaving your head, as in 100% bald, it's unwise to not get it done by a pro, unless you really don't care how you look.

Since you're just having it shaved, you don't need to pay up for an expensive haircut. A regular barber is fine, which shouldn't be all that expensive ($15 or $20 maybe).

Also, find a barber who will let you pop in between neck haircuts for a free neck clean-up. This is key. If you're a reasonable tipper most pros are fine with this.

I only get my haircut once a month, but I would have to do it more often than that if my guy weren't willing to do the midterm neck-cleanup.

Shaving your own head? I think that's pretty tough. Unless you're married happily and have at least $5 million in the bank, I probably would advise against it. We live in a shallow world. Looks definitely matter.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:24 PM

Hmm I trim it (3mm easily done myself), but it still takes like 15-20min to do it thoroughly. Shaving my own head is something I would probably never do though, I will probably cut myself a lot of times.

What I was wondering though, wouldn't it be possible to use one of those hair removal creams on your head, maybe that would be the perfect solution for the OP?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 PM

I have very thick hair and I have to use higher end Oster Clippers--I forget exactly which clippers I have, but they cost me $80 or so. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

I'm a realy low maintenance guy, and I've kept my hair short for years now, usually getting it cut with a no. 2 and letting it grow out for 2 months. Now though, I want to start keeping it pretty short all the time (its gets pretty shaggy when I let it grow out) and figure the best way to do this would be to by an electric razor of some sort. So I went out and bought a cheapo one from Walmart.

The problem? I've got thick hair and it doesn't seem able to cut it very well - it constantly gets stuck and pulls on my hair in an none-too nice way and also doesnt do a very even job, even when I get someone else to help (little bits of hair will be longer than the rest, etc.)

Anyway, I dont want to have to make this a mission, but really wanna do it myself, so does anyone have recommendations for a good electric razor that will do the job? I've been thinking along the lines of a Panasonic es8066, does anyone have experience with this?

Anyone have stories to share?

-pug

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna do it, might as well go all the way and shave it all off. It looks better anyways.

Pick up the Headblade and do your own work. I've been using it for years and have been pretty pleased with the results.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:46 PM

You need clippers, not an electric razor.

Been shaving my head for 10+ years, while high end clippers are nice, the cheap ones work just as well.

Using clippers won't get you a complete shave, but if you're a low mainenance kind of guy, you aren't going to want to get skin close everyday anyway.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need clippers, not an electric razor.

Been shaving my head for 10+ years, while high end clippers are nice, the cheap ones work just as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Oster Fast-Feed Clippers are more than worth the premium paid--they are on sale for $49 on Amazon right now.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 AM

I replaced my crappy walmart clippers with the classic flavor osters and its a world of difference. I still have to get someone to clean up my neck once a week or so because I'm hairy like a monkey and there is no way I could even it up with a razor myself.

I think I paid around $100.