Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 AM

Default NL Home game (.25/.50) Bad fold with AA?

I played a hand this past weekend that I'd like to get a few opinions on.

Blinds .25/.50, 11 or 12 people at the table, and the table is playing pretty loose/passive preflop. Many pots have 7 or more limpers in them, but even 3-4x raises seem to attract 3 or more callers.

I have AA in the big blind. Folds around to player A in middle position, who raises to $2. Player B right behind calls, Player C right behind B calls. I raise to $10. This is a *big* raise for the table. I have a pretty loose image, but only for small amounts, so with this raise I'm pretty sure I've given my hand away, but I'm ok with that, because I'd be just as happy to have them all fold, and take the $9 that's already in the pot.

Player A calls. Player B calls. Player C folds.

Player A is very tight, I'm 100% sure she has jacks or better, and even jacks are very iffy. Player B is a little looser, and gets out of line a lot, but I'm fairly sure he's in the same range. I honestly don't think he's calling with anything worse than JJ. Depending on what he thinks I have (although I don't see how he could think I have anything other than AA or KK), he *may* call with AK to see the flop, but I don't think that's particularly likely.

The way the betting has gone, I'm willing to put all my chips in on just about any flop, but...

Flop comes KKQ.

I check, player A checks, player B bets $10 into a $38-ish pot. I go through the possibilities, and given what I think their ranges are (JJ or better), I think I have to fold. If I widen their ranges slightly, I think it's even more likely I have to fold, since I'd be including AK and maybe KQ as well.

After a lot of thought about this hand, I keep flopping back and forth between thinking there's just no way I could put another cent into that pot, and thinking I maybe gave up on such a big pot too easily. (We buyin for $40, so a $38 pot is pretty big)

Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: NL Home game (.25/.50) Bad fold with AA?

jesus christ call the flop and see what happens
Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 AM

its a good idea to standardize your preflop raises so people can't put you on a hand...

Also, you prob want to reformat this so it is much more concise...

Finally, this belongs one level below in microNL...
Old 04-26-2007, 01:41 AM

Man 12 people at one table?

Anyways, yah given your reads (assuming they're right) that is a disaster flop for you. Nonetheless, I would probably bet out smallish on the flop and see if they both just give up (sometimes even tight players do strange things preflop once in a while). If I got any action I'd be done with it.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
jesus christ call the flop and see what happens

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that a vote on the "gave up too easily" side of things?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Nonetheless, I would probably bet out smallish on the flop and see if they both just give up (sometimes even tight players do strange things preflop once in a while).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's the one thing that I thought I might have done differently, just bet out $10.

And as it turns out, my reads were spot on, and every hand in the pot was JJ or better. But I still folded the best hand. Player A had JJ, player B had the other 2 aces. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]